This quick and easy Brioche French Toast Casserole Recipe makes a perfect breakfast for weekend mornings, Mother’s Day and Christmas morning breakfast. Serve this easy breakfast with fresh fruit for a satisfying breakfast that the whole family will love.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
We love this easy french toast bake for Sunday mornings and special occasions.
For this easy breakfast casserole, buttery brioche bread is simply cut into 1-inch cubes, then an egg mixture is poured on top of the bread cubes in baking dish and cooked to golden perfection.
Why you’ll love this easy french toast casserole
What I love best about this casserole is that it takes just a few minutes to make and I can enjoy time with my family while it bakes in the oven.
- the next best part….other than the pure deliciousness is that it is so quick and easy to make (5 minute prep) and ideal for a weekend brunch!
- this french toast casserole uses simple ingredients that are easily adaptable to the type of bread that you have on hand.
- make it an overnight French toast casserole by allowing it to sit in the fridge overnight and baking the following morning.
- crowd-pleasing – if you have a large group to feed for a holiday morning, this is a hearty breakfast is an ideal recipe to double or triple for a crowd.
What to serve with French Toast Casserole
A savory dish is sure to compliment this delicious breakfast. You might enjoy some of these:
Or additional sweet sides to compliment for a breakfast buffet:
Ingredients & Substitutions
This great recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find in your local grocery store.
- Brioche bread – provides the perfect texture and buttery flavor. You could also substitute French bread. In a pinch you could use any day-old bread cut into bread cubes.
- Eggs – use large eggs and let them sit at room temperature for a half hour before starting the recipe.
- Milk – you can use whole milk, 2% or 1% milk in this recipe
- Heavy Cream – the heavy cream mixed with the milk creates a delicious rich custard.
- Brown Sugar – in a pinch you could substitute white granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract – pure vanilla extract is best for this french toast casserole or you could use artificial if that is what you have on hand.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Powdered sugar – sprinkling each serving with a little powdered sugar is optional and gives a nice touch to each serving for special occasions.
- Mixed fresh berries – optional and highly recommended are delicious fresh berries. Strawberries, raspberries bluberries and blackberries are all great choices, or a mixture of all of them!
How do I make this an overnight French toast casserole?
Prepare the recipe up to Step 4 and then cover the baking dish with foil. Refrigerate overnight. Allow the chilled casserole to come to room temperature the next morning as you preheat the oven.
Bake, covered with foil in 350°F oven for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
How to make this baked french toast casserole – step by step instructions
You can find the full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page. I’ve included step by step photos below for this french toast recipe to guide you as your making the recipe.
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350•F. Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish lightly with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2 – Place brioche bread cubes into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
Step 3 – In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk, heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Stir until well combined.
Step 4 – Pour egg mixture over bread cubes in casserole dish.
Step 5 – Bake in 350°F for 40 minutes.
Use a sieve, or sprinkle by hand with powdered sugar. Serve with fresh fruit and optional maple syrup and enjoy!
How long does French Toast Casserole last in the fridge?
French Toast Casserole can be refrigerated for up to three days. Allow the casserole to cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
To reheat, microwave individual servings 30 seconds at a time until heated through.