This Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe the perfect casserole recipe for busy weeknights. Cooked chicken in a creamy sauce is topped with buttery Ritz crackers that make this dinner the ultimate comfort food family favorite.
This creamy, dreamy casserole is one of our family's favorite recipes. The buttery crackers on top give the perfect creamy-to-crunchy ratio and it's delicious served with so many different side dishes.
You can cook up the chicken on the day that you make the casserole, or use leftover chicken from the day before.
When it comes to comforting meals for our family, casseroles are our top choice. From Philly Cheesesteak Casserole to the mouthwatering Beef Taco Casserole, the oven-baked goodness of these dishes provides a delightful sense of comfort and satisfaction.
Why you'll love this easy chicken casserole recipe
- it's so quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. If you plan ahead and have the chicken cooked and shredded it's even quicker!
- creamy, cheesy goodness in a casserole. It's the ultimate comfort food!
- million dollar casserole is versatile and can be served with rice, noodle or potatoes. Try my twice-baked potatoes made in the air fryer for a delicious side dish recipe. Equally tasty and easy to make are my lemon-roasted Greek potatoes. They're one of my most popular recipes on the blog. Green beans, broccoli, carrots and peas are also great sides for this recipe.
If you love chicken casserole recipes, try these next:
Ingredients & Substitutions
- cooked chicken, shredded - you can use rotisserie chicken or poached chickend for this recipe. This recipe is also a great way to enjoy leftover chicken .
- cream cheese - you will need softened cream cheese for this casserole. Take it out of the fridge about 45 minutes before you start the recipe.
- ricotta cheese - we like to use full-fat ricotta cheese. You could also substitute cottage cheese.
- sour cream - full fat sour cream for best flavor!
- cream of chicken soup - we love Campbell's
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- mozzarella cheese - you could also use Montery Jack, cheddar cheese or any other mozzarella cheese subsitutes.
- buttery crackers - we love Ritz crackers and feel that they're the best for this chicken dinner or you can substitute your favorite!
- butter - you can use either salted or unsalted butter. Either will work.
Add bacon - Crumble 5 strips of cooked crispy bacon on top of casserole before cooking.
What is million dollar chicken casserole?
Million dollar chicken is made with shredded chicken that is mixed into a creamy sauce that is made with cream cheese, dour cream, ricotta (or cottage) cheese, cream of chicken soup and pepper.
The chicken mixture is spread in a casserole dish, then topped with a combination of melted butter and one sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers. It's a delicious familly dinner recipe that is easy to make.
One bite of this chicken casserole and you'll know what it's called 'million dollar chicken'!!
Can i freeze million dollar chicken casserole?
Yes, you can freeze million dollar chicken casserole. Complete all of the steps in the recipes with the exception of the buttery cracker topping.
Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to three months.
To bake, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Prepare the buttery cracker topping and sprinkle on top and bake as directed. Remove foil for last 10 minutes of baking.
How to make million dollar casserole
You can find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page with an ingredients list and instructions. Below, you will find some simple visual photos with tips so that you know what to expect along the way while you're making this recipe.
I'm going to assume that you have your cooked chicken shredded and ready to be added to the recipe.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F and greasing a 9x13-inch casserole dish lightly with butter. Alternatively, you can spray the casserole dish with cooking spray.
You will be using softened cream cheese. I like to place it in a large mixing bowl and give it a good stir for about 30 seconds to soften it even more. Giving the cream cheese a stir makes it easier to mix in with the next ingredients.
Next, stir in the ricotta cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder and onion powder and mix until well combined.
Stir in the shredded chicken until coated with the creamy mixture.
Spread mixture into prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the Ritz crackers with the melted butter and stir just until combined.
Sprinkle the buttery crackers on top of the cheese.
Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 40 minutes until bubbly and cracker topping is golden brown.
Top with fresh parsley (optional) and enjoy!
Top this million dollar chicken bake with fresh parsley (optional) and enjoy! You could also tp this casserole with chopped green onions.
Store cooled casserole covered in plastic wrap, or transfer to airtight container and refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat individual servings in microwave on a plate for 30 second intervals until heated through.