Here's a little cake mix magic for you! This Easy Lemon Dump Cake with Cream Cheese is an easy lemon dessert recipe has only four simple ingredients and I think you're going to love it!
The tangy lemon flavor comes through in both the lemon cake mix and the lemon pie filling. Lemon lovers will be in heaven!
This is one of those easy dessert recipes that is nice to have ready when you're expecting company and short on time to make anything from scratch. This lemon dump cake recipe is prepared in the baking dish and will require little cleanup!
Dump cake has a cake-like topping, similar to a cobbler crust, only softer.
You literally dump everything into the baking dish - hence, 'dump cake'. If you don't have ingredients on hand, everything is simple and readily available at the grocery store.
When you're ready to try a different flavor combination, my peach dump cake is just as quick and easy and calls for canned peaches. It's the perfect treat!
Later this week, I will be making apple dump cake and pumpkin dump cake and I can't wait to share them with you!
- Lemon pie filling - depending what is available in your area, you can purchase canned lemon filling or the dry powder to make lemon pie filling.
- Lemon cake mix - One box of lemon cake mix. You can also use a few other flavors of boxed cake mix such as yellow cake mix or vanilla cake mix.
- Cream cheese - one block of cream cheese is all that you'll need for this recipe. The combination of lemons and cream cheese is delicious!
- Butter - use cold butter as it will be easier to slice into squares.
- lemon zest - looking for even more zing from lemon flavor? Stir in the zest from one lemon into the cake mix before sprinkling it on top of the lemon pie filling for more intense lemon flavor.
- white chocolate chips- sprinkle the top of the cake mix with one cup of white chocolate chips.
How to make Lemon Dump Cake
You can find the full list of ingredients, amounts and instructions on the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Start by spraying a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Step 1 - Spread lemon pie filling in the bottom of prepared 13-inch baking dish, smoothing with a spoon to spread evenly.
Step 2 - Slice block of cream cheese into 16 slices and carefully place on top of the pie filling.
Step 3 - Sprinkle the cake mix over top. Try and sprinkle it as evenly as possible.
Step 4 - Slice butter into thin pats of butter and place evenly over top of the cake mix. That's it! How easy is that?!
Step 5 - Bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is light golden brown.
As the cake is cooking and the butter melts, there may be a few dry cake mix spots from the butter not spreading out. You can simple take a pastry brush and move it over to a wet area about 5 minutes before it's done baking.
Allow the dessert to cool slightly before serving with whipped cream or cool whip or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Yes, once cooled, the dump cake must be refrigerated and can be refrigerated for up to four days in an airtight container, or baking dish that is covered with plastic wrap.
Yes! A dump cake can be made the day before and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
Yes, you can reheat a dump cake by scooping out a portion onto a plate or into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warm.
Yes, you can substitute lemon curd in equal amounts for the lemon pie filling.