This Caramel Apple Dump Cake with Fresh Apples will be a hit at any fall gathering! Adding fresh apples spiced with cinnamon really ups the flavor and texture of this delicious apple dump cake. A sweet caramel sauce topping is the perfect pairing for this easy simple apple dessert.
Why is it called a dump cake?
As the name suggests the butter and boxed cake mix ingredients are 'dumped' into a baking dish on top of the apples to bake in the oven with no mixing or extra bowls needed.
Easy Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
The best part of this caramel apple dump cake recipe is how easy it is to make with only 6 ingredients. Serve this warm apple cake with a scoop of ice cream to make it over-the-top delicious!
Using fresh apples only takes a couple of more minutes of prep time and really makes a big difference in the flavor over using a canned apple pie filling. Family and guests will appreciate the difference fresh apples make.
We like to use granny smith apples but honey crisp apples are also delicious in this apple dump cake recipe. Apple dump cake with caramel really is the best easy apple dessert to make for your Thanksgiving table.
The sweetness of the buttery caramel sauce perfectly compliments the tartness of the fresh apples to create holiday worthy caramel apple pecan dump cake dessert.
Your guests will not only love the aroma but seeing buttery sauce cascade over ice cream and the dump cake giving it a sweet caramel coating in every bite.
We enjoy this apple dump cake often for an easy dessert recipe when our sweet tooth comes calling. You may also enjoy my amazing apple spice dump cake, pumpkin pecan dump cake, 3 ingredient cherry dump cake and my easy fresh peach dump cake!!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy dump cake recipe that is easier than pie
- Budget friendly apple dessert recipe
- Fresh apples only add a couple of more minutes of prep time
- Using fresh apples enhances the flavor making it a crowd pleaser to serve for the holidays
- Apple dessert with caramel is a perfect pairing combination
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Ingredients
- Fresh Apples - we used fresh Granny Smith apples cut into pieces placed in bottom of baking dish
- Cake Mix - use any boxed yellow cake mix
- Butter - softened at room temperature
- Pecans - add a perfect nutty flavor on top of dump cake
- Ground Cinnamon - sprinkled on top of the cut up fresh apples to add another layer of warm spice flavor to the apples
- Caramel Sauce - use your favorite caramel sauce to cover your fresh apples and for the perfect topping
You can use your favorite fresh apples in the dump cake recipe. We like to use Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples. Gala or Fuji apples would also work well in this recipe.
We used a yellow cake mix but you can also use a white cake mix or a spiced cake mix.
You can use walnuts in place of the pecans or not use pecans at all if you prefer but we enjoy the extra nutty flavor profile they provide.
Apple pie spice can also be used in place of cinnamon and you can also add more spices like nutmeg. Slice your apples instead of chopping them. This recipe can also be made with other fruits in place of the apples such as peaches or blueberries.
Can I use apple pie filling in place of the fresh apples?
Yes, you can! Use apple pie filling in place of apples for the caramel apple dump cake! 2 cans of filling (20 oz each) would be a good replacement.
Step by step instructions for how to make a caramel apple dump cake recipe
Looking for the full recipe with card with ingredients & instructions? You can scroll to the bottom and I also have a handy 'jump-to-recipe' button at the top of the page!
STEP ONE - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO - Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
STEP THREE - Add chopped apples and cinnamon to the baking dish. Stir to coat apples in cinnamon.
STEP FOUR - Spread apple mixture along the bottom of the pan
STEP FIVE - Pour caramel sauce over apples.
STEP SIX - Top with yellow cake mix. Be sure to cover the apples completely with the cake mix.
STEP SEVEN - Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
STEP EIGHT - Pour melted butter on top, covering the cake mix
STEP NINE - Bake at 350°F degrees for 40-45 minutes, until the apples are cooked throughout and the topping is bubbling and starting to brown. Serve warm.
Top tips for making the best apple caramel dump cake
- Use room temperature ingredients
- Using a good quality caramel sauce that is rich and buttery but not too sweet to enhance the flavor of apple dump cake
- Make sure to peel the apples
- Distribute ingredients evenly
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes after baking, but it is best served warm
What to serve with caramel apple dump cake?
- Your favorite ice cream like a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Extra caramel topping
- Whipped cream
- Some chocolate sauce with the caramel sauce
- Add some more chopped nuts
- Sprinkled cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
What is the biggest mistake made when making a dump cake?
Do not mix the ingredients!! The ingredients are meant to be dumped distributed evenly in the baking dish, for the best results avoid any mixing.
How to reheat caramel apple dump cake?
You can you reheat at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Reheat individual servings in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
How long does caramel apple dump cake stay fresh?
You can help leftovers stay fresh by storing it after cooled covered with wrap or using an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze apple caramel dump cake?
Yes you can freeze it without topping using a freezer-safe container for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.Print