Say hello to our favorite party snack! Crispy air fryer buffalo cauliflower, made with lightly coated cauliflower florets, hot sauce, and honey. Cauliflower bites make a great appetizer or side dish. Enjoy them with a creamy dip such as blue cheese or ranch dressing and a few crispy carrots or celery sticks on the side. You'd better make a double batch - they're that delicious!!
Hubby and I enjoyed a helping of these cauliflower bites last weekend and they are just the kind of snack that you can't stop eating! Thankfully, they are healthier than their chicken wing counterpart and we're going to enjoy them again for Superbowl Sunday along with my Dorito Chicken Tenders.
If you love cauliflower recipes, try my creamy cauliflower soup. It's the best ever!
Why you'll love this recipe
- these air fryer buffalo cauliflower wings are made with simple ingredients and they are crispy and delicious! We love air fryer recipes for that reason - the crispiness!
- they're the perfect appetizer for game day.
- we think they're just as tasty as traditional chicken wings!
- cauliflower - you will need one whole head of cauliflower.
- butter, melted - I used salted butter but have also used unsalted. Either one will work.
- olive oil
- buffalo sauce - our favorite is Frank's Red Hot or wing sauce. Or, you can use your favorite brand of hot sauce. You can also make homemade buffalo sauce.
- honey - is mixed in with the buffalo sauce. You could also substitute an equal amount of maple syrup.
- all purpose flour
- cornstarch - I tried a combination of different coatings for this recipe and for best results, air fryer buffalo cauliflower bites with cornstarch and flour resulted in a nice crispy texture.
- dressing or dipping sauce - a dipping sauce such as blue cheese dressing or ranch balances the hot sauce and is a delicious flavor combination. Use your favorite dipping sauce.
- parsley - makes a nice garnish. Finely chop and sprinkle over the cooked cauliflower bites for garnish.
- carrots and celery -cut into slivers are perfect for dipping into the dressing.
How do you make buffalo cauliflower bites in an air fryer?
These buffalo cauliflower bites are one of the easiest appetizers to make; honestly, once you start munching on them, you won't stop!
I've included step-by-step photos and instructions below. You can also find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page for easy printing.
Prepare the cauliflower by rinsing and draining, Remove the core and stem and cut into small florets.
In a small bowl, melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl in ten-second intervals until melted.
To the melted butter, stir in olive oil hot sauce, and honey. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
Pour over cauliflower florets and mix gently until completely covered. I found it easier to mix with clean hands.
Whisk together all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl.
Sprinkle flour mixture (dry ingredients)over the cauliflower. Using a sieve or sifter gives a nice thin coating and makes it less clumpy.
Brush the bottom of the air fryer basket with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. For best results use the oil and do not use cooking spray as it damages some air fryers depending on your basket.
Spread the cauliflower in an air fryer basket in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to air fry cook two batches. There can be a slight overlap but space is required for the air to circulate and the cauliflower bites to get nice and crispy.
Preheat the air fryer to 375°F. Preheating is essential to ensure even cooking within the suggested time frame. If you do not preheat, it will take longer.
Cook for 15 minutes. Shake the basket gently to rotate it during the cooking process. I like to do this at five-minute intervals. The edges should be crispy. If not, air fry them for a few more minutes.
My top tips for making this recipe
- place the cauliflower in a single layer to ensure even cooking and crispy edges.
- cooking times may vary depending on your brand of air fryer. We used the Ninja 6-in-1 two-basket air fryer.
Storage & Freezing Instructions
Cool cauliflower bites completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
For more extended storage, place leftovers in an airtight container and freeze them for up to 3 months.
To change up the flavor a little, you can add ½ teaspoon of onion or garlic powder to the flour mixture.
Mush cauliflower is a result of overcrowding in the air fryer basket. The air must circulate to cook the cauliflower evenly and to get it nice and crispy. Place cauliflower in a single layer and do not overcrowd it!
No you do not have to precook the flower for air fryer cauliflower bites. Cooking as directed in this recipe will result in evenly cooked cauliflower on the insides with nice crispy edges.
I like to serve buffalo cauliflower bites with ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, carrots, and celery sticks.
What to serve with air fryer buffalo cauliflower wings
Serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing or your dressing of choice. These cauliflower bites would be tasty with a side of air fryer tater tots.
What to do with leftovers
If you've made a double-batch and by chance have some leftovers, reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes the next day and pop them into a tortilla with some lettuce and chopped veggies for a delicious lunch!