These saucy Homemade Baked Beans from Scratch can be made in one day! There's no need for overnight soaking. Making them from scratch requires a little more effort but they are well worth it!
Maybe it's the French Canadian in me? I love baked beans. Growing up, my mom, a French Canadian, made these every few months and I can remember the amazing smell of the kitchen.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- this recipe requires basic ingredients
- no fancy equipment. A large oven-proof pot or Dutch oven or 16-cup casserole dish is all that you'll need
- these baked beans are the perfect side for any dish that can accompany dinner, lunch or even breakfast!
- like my Lemon Roasted Greek Potatoes and Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin, this is a family favourite side dish that makes regular appearances.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- white pea beans (or navy beans) are used in this recipe.
- onions - you can use yellow cooking onion or sweet onions for delicious flavour
- brown sugar - you can use either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar. The darker the sugar, the more molasses it will have and deeper flavour which marries perfectly in these baked beans.
- bacon - if you want to make Vegetarian Baked Beans you can easily omit the bacon from this recipe and proceed with all of the other ingredients.
Before you begin, rinse the beans. Sort through with a spoon and discard any that are discoloured or blemished.
Pour 9 cups of water in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. Boil gently for three minutes.
Let stand for one hour, then drain.
Return the beans to the pot and cover with 12 cups of water.
Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Set aside 2 cups of the cooking liquid, then drain.
Slice the bacon into six pieces and cook, just until done. You do not want crispy bacon. Simply, render the fat from the bacon.
In a Dutch oven or 16-cup casserole dish, combine the beans and all other ingredients, including the 2 cups of reserved cooking liquid.
Bake, covered in 300°F oven for 2 and ½ hours.
Uncover and bake for another hour to 1 and ½ hours until desired thickness is reached.
HOW TO SERVE BAKED BEANS
Baked beans are a delicious side dish that you can enjoy with many meals. Try them alongside your favourite barbecued main course, such as burgers, ribs or steak.
As a topping on a loaded baked potato. Simply top the baked potato with beans and your favourite cheddar cheese and you've got yourself a meal!
STORAGE AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS
Baked beans can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat on stovetop over low heat until heated through or use the microwave.
To freeze, place in freezer safe container and freeze for up to three months. Thaw before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please take a moment to comment below. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print