These Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are so creamy and have both sweet and white potatoes making them extra tasty! You can also enjoy them using only white potatoes. Whatever strikes your fancy!
ingredients & substitutions
- onions - add delicious flavour to the white sauce. You can use regular cooking onions or sweet onions such as Vidalia
- milk - I use 1% milk in this recipe, or you can substitute 2% or whole milk
- potatoes - so many delicious varieties to choose from. Some of our favourites include Russets, Yukon Gold and red-skinned potatoes.
- sweet potatoes - you can easily opt out of using sweet potatoes and only use white potatoes. The sweet potatoes add delicious flavour to this easy side dish recipe.
- grated cheddar cheese - I love to use a sharp cheddar and you can also substitute half of the cheddar for Gruyere.
Use regular cooking onions or substitute sweet onion if desired. Cook until lightly golden and caramelized. Set side.
Melt the butter, then gradually whisk in the flour and cook for three minutes.
Slowly, add in the milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Mixture will thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a well-greased casserole dish, spread ⅓ of the sauce. Next, cover the sauce with a layer of the sliced potatoes followed by ⅓ of the onions.
Add ½ the cheddar cheese and continue to layer the remaining sauce, potatoes, onions and cheddar in the same manner.
Combine bread crumbs with butter. Mix well and sprinkle on top of potato mixture.
Bake covered with foil in 400°F oven for 25 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375°F and cook for 30 to 40 more minutes.
Test with a sharp knife to make sure that the potatoes are cooked through. They may need a few more minutes.
Allow scalloped potatoes to stand 10 minutes before serving.
If you're partial to the flavour of fresh herbs (I am!!), try adding a tbsp. of chopped fresh thyme or rosemary. Salt and pepper - adjust to taste once the sauce is made, keeping in mind that the cheese will add sodium to the dish.
you might also enjoy these side dish recipes
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please take a moment to comment below and give it a five-star recipe rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print