Oven Baked Chicken Thighs have a 5 minute prep time and are baked to a crispy and juicy perfection! This easy budget-friendly dinner still delivers on flavour, with crowd-pleasing results every time.
The crispy skin not only provides a delightful texture but along with the spices adds to the depth of flavor in this comfort food chicken recipe.
- Oven baked bone in chicken thighs
- Why you'll love recipe
- Step by step instructions for how to bake chicken thighs in the oven
- What to serve with baked chicken thighs?
- Top tips for making the best oven baked chicken thighs
- Can chicken thighs be overcooked in the oven?
- Should I use foil to bake chicken thighs?
- How long to bake chicken thighs in oven at 400°F?
- How long to bake chicken thighs in oven at 350°F?
- Convection oven baked chicken thighs time
- What to do with leftover chicken thighs?
- How to reheat leftover chicken thighs?
- Storage and freezing instructions
- You may also enjoy these recipes
- Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Oven baked bone in chicken thighs
Why use chicken thighs with the bone in this recipe for oven baked chicken thighs? As with most chicken recipes the bones really help to add flavor and moisture to the baked chicken.
Chicken thighs have dark chicken meat that are known to provide more flavor than other chicken pieces. For years, we had a family friend, Earl who only wanted the dark meat saying it had the best flavor!
Oven baked chicken thighs with bone-in become more juicy and tender as they cook which is different from chicken breasts that can dry out quickly.
Once you bake chicken thighs in the oven you can easily remove the bones if you need to for serving.
Chicken thighs are the most economical chicken meat to buy as groceries get more and more expensive. There is no need to skip the meat as chicken thighs are cheaper and still provide excellent flavor.
If you make enough oven baked chicken legs and thighs for leftovers, they are great to use as shredded chicken in other chicken recipes.
Why you'll love recipe
- One the easiest chicken recipes to make for dinner
- Most economical budget-friendly chicken recipe to make
- Crispy oven baked chicken thighs are versatile for many variations
- Make ahead the day before ready to bake
- Chicken Thighs - 6 to 8 bone in and skin on
- Garlic Powder - seasoning to add flavor
- Onion Powder -
- Smoked Paprika -
- Brown Sugar
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
Easy oven baked chicken thighs with bone are very versatile and can be seasoned with different seasonings as substitutes:
- ¾ teaspoons of chicken seasoning
- ¾ teaspoons of Herbs de Provence
- ¾ teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoons of your favourite homemade seasoning
You can also substitute regular paprika for the smoked paprika.
Substitute in oven baked boneless skinless chicken thighs
You can substitute boneless chicken thighs and or skinless chicken thighs to bake in this recipe. You may need to reduce the cooking time.
Step by step instructions for how to bake chicken thighs in the oven
How long to bake chicken thighs in oven?
STEP ONE - Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and sugar together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
STEEP TWO - With a paper towel pat excess water from the chicken thighs.
STEP THREE - Gently pull back skin on thighs, not completely removing, to expose meat. Brush chicken with oil.
STEP FOUR- Sprinkle about ¼ teaspoon of prepared seasoning blend on exposed meat, turn thighs over and sprinkle underside with another ¼ teaspoon of seasoning. Turn thighs back over, pull skin back into place to cover thighs, brush skin with oil and top with another ¼ teaspoon of seasoning blend.
STEP FIVE - Place thighs in a 9x 13 baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet, bake for 35- 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
How to make oven baked bbq chicken thighs?
To make easy barbecue chicken thighs in the oven brush with your favorite store bought or homemade bbq sauce in the final 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time!
For a quick shortcut you can use store bought teriyaki sauce to brush on the chicken thighs during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking, to make oven baked teriyaki chicken thighs.
Using whipped eggs to dip the thighs into and then dredge in either panko bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs to make oven baked chicken thighs breaded.
What to serve with baked chicken thighs?
- Garlic French Fries
- Roasted Potatoes
- Classic Greek Potatoes
- Baked Potatoes
- Kale Salad
- Green Goddess Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- Campbells Green Bean Casserole
- Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Boursin Mashed Potatoes
- Broccoli and Rice Cheese Casserole
- Cranberry Sauce
Top tips for making the best oven baked chicken thighs
- For easier cleanup you can line your baking pan with foil
- Allow the chicken to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes after coating with seasoning to really let the flavors meld and season the chicken thighs. Or to make ahead prepare the chicken thighs the day before and leave in the fridge overnight before baking to really meld the flavors!!
- To make extra-crispy chicken thighs, bake the chicken thighs on an oven-safe rack in a rimmed baking sheet to allow hot air to move under the thighs
- For food safety use a food thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken thighs is 165°F.
Can chicken thighs be overcooked in the oven?
Chicken thighs are not as easy to overcook and dry out like chicken breasts which is another big reason many people enjoy using them. Follow the instructions for perfectly moist oven baked chicken thighs!
Should I use foil to bake chicken thighs?
We do not use foil to cover the chicken thighs while baking. We do use foil to help reheat the leftover chicken thighs in the oven.
How long to bake chicken thighs in oven at 400°F?
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 400°F in the oven.
How long to bake chicken thighs in oven at 350°F?
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 350°F in the oven.
Convection oven baked chicken thighs time
If using a convection oven to bake this chicken thighs recipe bake adjusting the cooking time to 375°F in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. This will depend on the size of the chicken pieces and how your oven cooks.
What to do with leftover chicken thighs?
Leftover chicken thighs can be used in so many ways. Some of our favorite are to remove the skin and bone and shred it to use in:
- On top of any salad, like pesto chicken pasta salad, or chicken BLT salad
- Make a chicken salad for sandwiches or on its own
- Warm up with bbq sauce and make chicken barbecue sandwiches
- Season with taco spices and warm up to use with tortillas to make fajitas and quesadillas
- Use in any recipe that uses shredded chicken like casseroles or pasta bakes
How to reheat leftover chicken thighs?
Place leftover chicken thighs in a baking dish and bake at 300°F in the oven covered with tin foil for 25 minutes or until warmed through. Remove the foil for the last couple minutes of cooking time to crisp up the skin for crispy chicken.
Storage and freezing instructions
How to store leftover baked chicken thighs?
You can store leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container for up to 6 days in the fridge.
Do not allow the chicken thighs to sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours for food safety.
Can you freeze oven baked chicken thighs?
Yes you can! Remove the bones from the chicken and shred the chicken to store in a zippered freezer bag or freezer-safe container for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge before using.