Everyone needs a good House Salad recipe in their back pocket. You know when you go to a restaurant and enjoy a delicious tossed salad that you devoir because it is so good!! This is that easy salad recipe to make in your own home. Also the perfect house salad for a crowd to make with company coming or for potlucks.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Classic House Salad
A classic house salad is known and loved for its simplicity, freshness and my favorite part its versatility. This salad takes just 15 minutes to throw it together!!
Using fresh crisp vegetables gives the salad the best vibrant flavor, as fresh ingredients allow the natural flavors to shine through.
Our homemade house salad dressing recipe is sweet and tangy made with simple ingredients. It takes just a minute to whisk together, and tastes so much better than store bought dressing.
House Salad vs Caesar
House salad is made with a mix of greens and vegetables like tomato and onion with cheddar cheese. While the caesar salad is made with romaine lettuce, croutons and parmesan cheese. House salad typically has a vinaigrette dressing and caesar has a tangy creamy dressing.
- Romaine Hearts Lettuce – roughly chopped
- Iceberg Lettuce – roughly chopped
- Cherry Tomatoes – sliced
- Cucumber – sliced
- Croutons – use your favorite croutons
- Cheddar Cheese – grated
- Red Onion – sliced adds so much flavor in this salad
- Bacon – bacon crumbles made with 12 slices of bacon is optional but so good
House Salad Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients:
- Avocado Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper – Kosher salt and black pepper
Substitutions and additions
You can also add in or customize using slices or chunks of quacamole, bell peppers, radishes, grated carrots, hot peppers, nuts and crumbled feta cheese.
Use your favourite store bought vinaigrette salad dressing in place of our homemade dressing.
Make this a vegetarian salad by not using the bacon.
Step by step instructions for how to make a house salad recipe
STEP ONE – In a bowl add the vinaigrette ingredients. Use a fork to whisk the ingredients together. Taste to see if you would like more oil, vinegar, or honey. Set aside.
STEP TWO – In a large bowl add the salad ingredients.
STEP THREE- Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad.
Make an Italian house salad by using black olives, pepperoncini peppers, and grated parmesan cheese.
Add in steak to make a steak house salad.
Sandra’s Top Tips
- Using the freshest ingredients makes a big difference in the taste of the salad
- If you want to make this more of a meal you can add grilled chicken, steak, tofu or shrimp on top
- Mix up your greens
- This salad is perfect to customize with your favourite salad ingredients
- You can easily make this salad for a crowd by doubling or tripling the ingredients
You can keep the undressed salad in the fridge for up to 3-4 days using an airtight container. If you dress the salad with the dressing the lettuce will wilt after it sits in the fridge.Print