This traditional savory Chex Mix Recipe will be a huge hit to serve as a snack mix for the holidays! This Cheez It snack mix is popular for parties, game days and perfect for any holiday gatherings. Such an easy versatile Chex mix using your favorite party snacks to suit you your tastes.
This snack mix is a homemade Chex mix recipe loaded with tons of flavor that is so easy to make in either the oven or microwave with Worcestershire sauce and spices. It's a perfect savory snack mix for any occasion or as an appetizer to feed a crowd.
I always loved my mom's Chex mix cereal with cheddar crackers, seasoned pretzels and nuts. It was always great when you got the munchies to know that you had some Chex party mix in the kitchen ready to eat.
I used to sell Chex mix seasoning bags with my gourmet company and it was always a big hit during the holidays for food gifts. Chex mix or party mix is also perfect to bring along for potlucks or large gatherings.
There are so many Chex mix flavors and different ways to make this recipe for Chex mix which is a big part of the fun, mixing it up.
Make this easy original recipe inspired Chex mix recipe 2 easy ways instead of buying store bought chips or snacks for your family. Perfect snack while watching your favorite game, holiday movie or decorating the Christmas tree together.
Also try my sweet Chex mix recipe for Christmas with M&M's, roasted cinnamon spiced nuts or my peanut candy clusters for special holiday snacks. Enjoy these snacks with my holiday peppermint hot chocolate or white hot chocolate.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy oven and microwave Chex mix recipe
- Microwave takes just 10 minutes to make
- Same prep time with oven with 1 hour bake time
- So easy to customize with your favorite snacks
- Old fashioned Chex party mix recipe for game day parties
- Popular savory holiday Chex mix recipe for gift giving
- Great to make ahead and store to keep fresh
Chex mix Ingredients
- Corn Chex Cereal - 2 cups
- Rice Chex Cereal - 2 cups
- Wheat Chex Cereal - optional 2 cups
- Peanuts - 1 cup
- Pretzels - 1 cup of bite sized
- Cheddar Crackers - 1 cup of Cheez it crackers
- Oyster Crackers - 1 cup
- Butter - ½ cup of unsalted
- Worcestershire Sauce - 2 tablespoons
- Seasoned Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Garlic Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Onion Powder - ½ teaspoon
Use any generic brand to help save money for any snack mix ingredient on the list. Use your favorite seasoned salt of your choice.
You can use rye chips or bagel chips in this salty party mix as a substitute for the oyster crackers or to add it in as well.
Wheat Chex mix cereal is an option to use in this recipe, we did not use it preferring the corn and rice cereal. Use any Chex cereals in your preferred combinations. Cinnamon Chex cereal is fun to mix in for cinnamon lovers.
Cheez it cheddar cheese crackers is our preferred cheese cracker but you can use the cheese crackers of your choice as a substitute.
We enjoy peanuts in our Chex mix party mix but you can use any nuts you prefer and mixed nuts with cashews and almonds are used in the original recipe.
Step by step instructions for how to make this Chex mix recipe in the oven and microwave
How to make Chex mix in microwave
STEP ONE - In a large microwave-safe bowl add the butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until combined.
STEP TWO - Add the cereals, pretzels, cheddar crackers, oyster crackers, and peanuts to the bowl. Stir until combined.
STEP THREE - Microwave for 6 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes. Spread onto a baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cooled.
How to make Chex mix in the oven?
- Preheat your oven to 250°F
- Follow the same steps for melting the butter and Worcestershire mixture in a bowl in the microwave
- Place the cereal mixture in another large bowl mixed together
- Pour the butter and spice mixture over your cereal mixture in the bowl and gently toss until evenly coated
- Spread the mixture onto two large baking sheets evenly
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven to cool
- Once it has cooled you can add chocolate or candy like M&M's
- Serve or store to keep fresh
Chex mix Variations
All Chex mix recipes are variations of the original Chex mix recipe from 1960. These are some of our favorites:
- Spicy or Bold Chex mix recipe using cayenne pepper
- Honey nut Chex mix recipe using honey nut Chex cereal
- Chocolate Chex mix, using chocolate Chex cereal and we like to use the turtles from our stockings as well for a News Years Eve snack mix
- Peanut butter Chex mix using peanut butter Chex cereal
- Reese's snack mix recipe use Reese'e mini peanut butter cups with peanut butter Chex cereal
- Ranch Chex mix recipe with ranch seasoning
- Southwest Chex mix featuring southwest seasoning
- Sweet and salty Chex mix adding a sweet Chex cereal like honey nut or maple brown sugar with your favorite candy like M&M's or candied fruit and a baking chip for melting to drizzle on the mix
- Halloween Chex mix by adding in candy corn and other Halloween candy like Reese's pieces and drizzle on some melted chocolate
- Easter or Valentine Chex mix using Easter or Valentines day candy
- White chocolate Chex mix our holiday Chex mix
Sandra's top tips for making the best Chex mix recipe
- We offer two easy ways to make this incredibly delicious cereal Chex snack mix, the microwave is great if your oven is occupied
- If you prefer more of an ingredient it is easy to just add more, if you like more nuts add 1 ½ to 2 cups instead of 1 cup
- You can easily double the batch of the butter mixture to add in more of your favorite ingredients or more Chex cereal
- When coating the cereal mix with your butter and spice mixture stir gently to avoid crushing any ingredients
- Using parchment paper to line your baking sheets is a good idea for easy cleanup
- Make sure to cool your snack mix before adding chocolate or candy
Why is my Chex mix soggy?
If you do not spread out your Chex mix evenly in a single layer on the baking sheet it does not give enough room for all the mix to cook evenly. Also make sure to stir every 15 minutes and preheat your oven.
How long does Chex mix stay fresh?
Store leftover or make ahead cooled Chex party mix in a zippered plastic bag or an airtight container on the counter to stay fresh for 5 to 7 days. You can store it longer before it goes bad but I find it stays freshest for the 5 to 7 days.
Can you freeze Chex mix recipe?
Yes you can! Freeze using freezer zippered bags or a freezer-safe container for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw at room temperature before serving.