You're going to love this easy Christmas Chex Mix Recipe with M&M's!! It's great for gift-giving, bake sales and a perfect holiday surprise to make to munch on while watching your favorite Christmas movies.
This 6 ingredient, one bowl fun holiday Chex recipe to make with the kids, is also great to leave out for Santa's reindeer on Christmas Eve as a good substitute for Reindeer Chow.
Don't forget about Santa's cookies and his hot chocolate or white hot chocolate! Let us know what cookies you like to leave out for Santa!
What is the difference between Christmas Chex mix and Reindeer Chow?
Chex Mix is made with types of Chex cereal such as rice Chex, corn Chex, or wheat Chex. The Chex is added to pretzels, Cheerios or nuts and different chocolate like M&M's, sometimes with savoury flavors like garlic powder, and seasoning salt.
Reindeer Chow can be known as Muddy buddies or Puppy Chow, is also made with Chex cereal that is coated in a mixture of melted chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract. After coating, the Chex is then shaken in powdered sugar to give its sweet, powdery finish it is known for.
Chex mix can be both sweet and salty or savory while Reindeer Chow is usually just very sweet.
Christmas snack mix recipes like my cinnamon spiced nuts mix, is a great snack to have on hand if company stops by during the holiday season. A bowl of this sweet tasty Chex mix homemade party mix treat will disappear in no time!
We feel Christmas Chex mix with white chocolate is the best Chex mix recipe to enjoy during the holidays. It is a Christmas Cheerios Chex mix that is perfect as a Chex party mix to share with family and friends.
It is also a Chex mix in the microwave to melt the white chocolate that is so easy to make, a no bake Chex mix pretzels. The combination of the sweet and salty from the chocolate, M&M's with the pretzels is a perfect mix for a delicious holiday theme snack.
We like to stock up by making this Christmas mix ahead of time and store in the freezer to enjoy when ready. Try our classic Chex mix recipe as a fun snack to enjoy the whole year long full of memories from your childhood.
Why you'll love this holiday snack recipe
- Simple easy to make 6 ingredient Chex mix holiday snack
- Both sweet and salty flavor profile
- Perfect for bake sales and holiday gift-giving
- Best M&M white chocolate Chex mix sweet recipe
- Balanced snack mixing flavors and textures perfectly
Chex mix Ingredients list
This recipe has 6 simple ingredients that you should be able to find in the local grocery store.
- Chex mix cereal
- Cheerios cereal
- Pretzels - you can use any pretzel shapes such as pretzel sticks too.
- Red and green M&Ms - Holiday M&M's
- Red and green Christmas sprinkles
- White chocolate wafers
- (Ziplock bag for mixing)
Substitutions for Chex mix recipe with M&M's
Using your favorite Chex cereal like corn or wheat in this Christmas party mix recipe as a substitute for rice Chex.
You can also use your favorite pretzels shapes in this Christmas recipe.
Mix up with your favorite sprinkles or holiday nonpareils.
Chex mix pieces that would be delicious to add in as substitutes would be peanuts or mini marshmallows and making Chex mix with pecans.
Making chocolate Chex mix recipes using milk chocolate or dark chocolate in place of white chocolate. We used Holiday M&M's but you can use your favorite ones or favorite holiday theme chocolate.
Step by Step Instructions for making Chex mix with M&M's
This is one of the easiest holiday recipes you will make! You can find a full recipe card, with instructions and ingredients amounts at the bottom of this page.
Below, I've included photos for easy step-by-step visualization of how the steps will look.
Step 1 - Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2 - Place the Chex, Cheerios and pretzels into a gallon sized freezer bag..
Step 3 - Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat it in the microwave at 15 second intervals. Stir in between intervals until the chocolate becomes smooth. Be sure to use a microwave safe bowl.
Step 4 - Pour the chocolate over the cereal mixture in the bag.
Step 5 - Close the Chex mix bag and shake it until the cereal is covered in chocolate. Add M&M's and Christmas sprinkles.
Step 6 - Spread the mixture out on the baking sheet.
Step 6 - Place in the fridge until the chocolate hardens (about one hour).
Break into pieces to serve.
This white chocolate Chex mix is great for gift-giving. Package it in gift boxes that you can find at craft stores, or pretty jars. Tie it up with a holiday ribbon and you have a lovely gift to bring to a holiday party.
Variations for sweet Chex mix recipe with M&M's
There are so many Chex mix recipes to try. Sometimes this mix can be referred to as a Christmas crack Chex mix recipe but we like to call it Christmas Chex mix. Some Christmas mix variations for you to try:
- Add crushed candy canes or your favorite peppermint crushed candy to make a Christmas White Chocolate Peppermint Chex mix
- Adding your favorite candy to make a Christmas candied Chex mix recipe with optional powdered sugar
- Make a Christmas Caramel Chex mix by adding in your favorite caramel candies or chocolate like caramel chocolate chips, optional pecans
- Spice it up with Christmas Bold Chex mix recipes by adding ¼ cup of hot sauce or cayenne pepper! Get your milk ready!
- Christmas Chez-it Chex mix by adding in cheesy Chez-it crackers
- Another holiday mix is Christmas Gingerbread Chex mix recipe by adding in spices like 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and and ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg to the mix
- Peanut butter lovers will want to try Christmas peanut butter Chex mix by adding in peanuts with Reese's pieces or mini Reese's peanut butter cups pieces and peanut butter chocolate chips
Sandra's top tips for making the best white chocolate Chex mix
- Prepare your supplies ahead of time
- Use parchment paper to line the baking sheets when you spread the mixture on for cooling and easy cleanup
- Mix gently to avoid breaking the cereal
- Allow for refrigeration time before breaking the mix into pieces
Calories in Christmas Chex Mix?
Our Christmas Chex mix recipe will have calories per serving. If you make it with other variations this can change the calorie count.
How best to store Chex mix with M&M's?
Storing Christmas Chex mix recipe
Use an plastic zippered bags or an airtight container to store for white chocolate Chex mix for 3 to 5 days or in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.
Can I freeze white chocolate Chex mix?
Yes you can! Use a freezer-safe container of freezer zippered bags to freeze for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature before serving.