These delicious juicy and tender Easy Baked Chicken Meatballs are loaded with Italian seasonings, parmesan cheese and garlic. Making one of the tastiest appetizers or dinner recipe you have ever made!! Much like my pigs in a blanket, these chicken meatballs with sauce are perfect for potlucks, barbecues or parties. Watch them fly off the plate!!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Chicken Meatballs Recipe
This chicken meatballs recipe includes ground chicken and, along with grape jelly meatballs or turkey meatballs, is one our preferred choices for meat appetizers to serve when entertaining.
If you have never made chicken meatballs they have a milder and lighter flavor with a softer texture. This seems to help them absorb and showcase the seasonings of this Italian chicken meatballs recipe much better than ground beef. Makes a delicious flavourful Meatball!!
Substitute the meatballs in my baked ziti with these ground chicken meatballs for a great way to enjoy them in this family favorite dish.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy takes just 10 minutes to put together
- Italian seasonings, garlic and parmesan make the perfect meatball
- Perfect appetizer to serve your guests at potlucks and parties
- Also delicious to serve for dinner with pasta, rice or a salad
- Ground Chicken – 1 pound of lean ground chicken
- Italian Breadcrumbs – 1/2 cup adds flavor and texture to the meatballs
- Egg – 1 egg helps to bind the ingredients together
- Parmesan Cheese – grated adds a depth of rich savory flavor in these parmesan chicken meatballs
- Green Onions – 1/8 cup minced adds a subtle distinctive flavor to the meatballs
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tablespoon adds seasoning in a convenient way
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 teaspoon for seasoning
- Onion Powder – 1/2 teaspoon for seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1/4 teaspoon adds more depth of flavor
- Garlic Cloves – 3 garlic cloves minced adds a subtle richness which helps to make the meatballs much more flavorful and delicious
- Black Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon for seasoning
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon adds more seasoning
- Parsley – 3 tablespoons chopped and divided some for the garnish
- Olive Oil – 2 1/2 tablespoons divided some for mixing in the meatball recipe and some to brush on the ready made meatballs before baking
You could use oregano and basil instead of the Italian seasoning.
If you do not have Italian breadcrumbs you can use breadcrumbs without spices or even panko breadcrumbs.
Pecorino Romano cheese can be used in place of parmesan cheese.
What to serve with chicken meatballs
- Dipping Sauce – one of the best appetizers to serve with marinara sauce, bbq sauce, sweet and sour sauce or teriyaki sauce
- Pasta recipes – Italian chicken meatballs recipe is perfect for pasta
- Roasted or grilled vegetable – great on top of vegetables or stir fry
- Salads – we enjoy these light tasting meatballs with any salad
- Potatoes – terrific with our creamy mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes or easy air fryer baked potatoes
- Rice dishes – the light texture of these meatballs pair well with any rice dishes for a quick and easy dinner or lunch
Step by step instructions- How to Make Chicken Meatballs
You can find a full, printable recipe card by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
STEP ONE – Preheat the oven to 400° F.
STEP TWO – Line one 13×18 baking sheet or two 9×13 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
STEP THREE – Combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Mix until fully combined with clean hands or with a spoon. Do not overmix.
STEP FOUR – Add the green onions, garlic, 2 tablespoons parsley, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix until combined. Do not overmix.
STEP FIVE – With a cookie scoop or tablespoon scoop out the meatballs. Form the meatballs with clean hands. Place the meatballs onto the cookie sheet.
STEP SIX – With a pastry brush baste each meatball with 1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
STEP SEVEN – Bake for 20. Flip the meatballs over and cook for an additional 10 minutes. You want an internal temperature of 165°. Enjoy!
- Double the recipe – you can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd
- Switch up the meat – try using ground turkey in this recipe
Sandra’s top tips for making the best ground chicken meatballs
- Using a good quality parmesan cheese will add to the flavor
- If you do not use Italian breadcrumbs you may need to add some more seasoning to the meatballs depending on your tastes
- Do not overmix the meatballs
- You can use an ice cream scoop to make the meatballs the same size or wet your hands lightly
- The meatballs should reach an internal temperature of 165°F for safe eating, check using a digital thermometer
Storage and freezing instructions
Store any leftovers meatballs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Having extra leftover meatballs is also great for meal planning.
They can also be frozen before or after cooking and cooled. Store in the freezer using a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. This is perfect to help with meal planning!
Thaw in the fridge overnight before baking or reheating in the oven.
Reheat meatballs in the oven at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes using a lined baking sheet or oven-safe dish covered loosely with foil, to help retain moisture.