Creamy, cheesy and oh-so-delicious, this homemade soup is easy to make and is satisfying enough to turn into a meal!
Is there anything more heart-warming than a hot bowl of homemade soup? Whether it's this broccoli cheese soup, butternut squash soup or tasty cauliflower soup, once you've made homemade soup you will never look back!
You can enjoy this satisfying soup two ways: you can serve immediately when it's cooke for you can blend it for a smooth, creamy soup. Please note that if you blend it, you will have a lovely green soup!
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- simple ingredients and you don't need any fancy equipment!
- it's filling, satisfying and delicious!
- homemade is better don't you think?
- you can enjoy it with chunky veggies or transfer to blender and mix to a lovely green, creamy soup.
- this soup tastes like a Copy Cat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- milk - I like to use 1% milk, or you could use 2% or whole milk.
- half and half cream - you can use any cream that is between 10 to 18% milk fat.
- cheddar cheese - we love to use sharp cheddar, or you could substitute mild or medium cheddar.
- carrots - you can chop these by hand, or toss them in a small food chopper to speed things up.
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter and saute onions for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
2. Whisk in all-purpose flour and whisk steadily for 3-4 minutes.
3. Slowly, pour in the chicken stock, then gradually add in milk, whisking constantly.
4. Add in cream and continue to whisk and cook for four minutes. Mixture will begin to thicken.
5. Add in chopped carrots and continue to simmer for five minutes.
6. Add in broccoli florets and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add in dry mustard and gradually add in shredded cheese, stirring gently after each addition. Continue until all cheese has been added.
8. Taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste. Some cheeses taste more salty than others and you may not need to add any salt at all.
STORAGE AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS
Store cooled Broccoli Cheddar Soup in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat gently over low heat, uncovered in a saucepan or on low heat in the microwave.
Freeze completely cooled soup in freezer containers for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator completely before reheating.
To reheat, follow directions above in storage instructions.
I've rounded up some great recipes for you that will taste amazing with this soup recipe!
Place freshly shredded cheese in a covered bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use. When you're ready to add it to the soup, add it in small amounts.
Store cooled Broccoli Cheddar Soup in the fridge for up to three days.