Creamy butternut squash and carrots blend together beautifully in this satisfying Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup recipe. Basic ingredients make this easy recipe a regular go-to for a quick, delicious meal.
You guys! This soup is so easy to make!! You know how you go to those restaurants and they have that delicious creamy Butternut Squash Soup and you wish you could make it that good at home. Places like Panera Bakery - one of our favourites! Well, now you can make this soup at home - it's SO tasty!
How to make Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
You need this soup in your life 🙂 My original recipe had ¼ cup of cream in it and you don't need it!! I tested it twice without the cream and it is absolutely delicious. I love the simplicity of this recipe and how it delivers big on flavour and texture.
It is so easy to make and so practical to have on hand to reheat for lunch the next day. It will keep in the fridge for up to five days. You can also freeze this soup! Put it into freezer safe zipper bags or freezer safe glass containers.
I could talk about this Quick Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup all day 🙂 Let's get down to what's in this recipe:
Ingredients you will need
Butternut squash - look for a squash that's a consistent beige colour with no cuts or bruising.
Carrots - fresh carrots add a lot of flavour in this soup.
Onions - you can use cooking onions for this recipe or sweet onions such as Vidalia onions.
Butter - this recipe started out with a lot more butter and cream. I've paired it down and it tastes delicious with less. I would highly recommend butter although you could use margarine as well.
Chicken stock - if you have homemade on hand, use that. If not, use any of the pre-packaged that you can buy in the grocery store in the soup section. There are many varieties out there.
Salt & pepper - I've been using a sea salt grinder for awhile now and I love it, but you can use regular table salt. I always hesitate to say 'salt to taste' because then you cannot measure the sodium in a recipe. I've indicated ½ tsp. for this recipe but you can add more to suit your taste. The type of chicken stock that you use will also add additional salt flavour to the recipe, so keep that in mind.
Ground ginger - the ginger gives this soup that nice little zip that Butternut Squash soup is known for. You can add more to taste here. Our family prefers ½ tsp of ground ginger.
Dried thyme - if you're going to use fresh, I would recommend about 2 tsp. of fresh.
If you really want cream in this soup, I would recommend adding in ¼ cup of half and half or light cream :). I won't judge!!
1. Peel and chop butternut squash into 1-2" cubes. Set aside.
2. Peel and thinly slice carrots and set in bowl with butternut squash.
3. Peel and chop onions and place in bowl with squash and carrots.
4. In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan (I like to use a Dutch oven), melt butter.
5. Add in chopped vegetables, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
6. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring occasionally.
7. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25-30 minutes until squash is very tender.
8. Using a blender, carefully pour in the mixture and process/blend for 1-2 minutes until soup is creamy. (you can also use an immersion blender)
9. Return soup to cooking pot and heat to almost boiling. Add additional chicken stock if a runnier soup is desired. (Start with ½ cup when adding stock into the soup)
What to serve with this soup
This delicious Cheddar and Herb Soda Bread has no yeast and is quick to make. I would suggest putting it in the oven before you start the soup and it will be warm from the oven when the soup is ready.
This Herbed Beer Bread is even easier! You can have this mix made and prepared ahead of time, then simply add a can of beer and bake. Is there anything better than fresh bread warm from the oven??