Creamy, cheesy and oh-so-delicious, this homemade soup is a personal favourite. It's easy to make and is satisfying enough to make a meal out of it!
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. finely chopped onions
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup milk (I use 1% but you could use any type)
3 cups chicken stock
1 lb. fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
2 cups carrots, chopped into small pieces
16 oz. (2 cups) grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter and saute onions for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
2. Whisk in all-purpose flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Slowly, pour in the chicken stock, then gradually add in milk, whisking constantly.
4. Add in cream and continue to whisk and cook for four minutes. Mixture will begin to thicken.
5. Add in chopped carrots and continue to simmer for five minutes.
6. Add in broccoli florets and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add in dry mustard and gradually add in shredded cheese, stirring gently after each addition. Continue adding cheese as the cheese melts into the soup.
8. Taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste. Some cheeses taste more salty than others and you may not need to add any salt at all.
Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up the three days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled Broccoli Cheddar Soup in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat gently over low heat, uncovered in a saucepan or on low heat in the microwave.
- Freezing instructions:. Freeze completely cooled soup in freezer containers for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator completely before reheating.
- Ingredients notes: mild, medium or sharp cheddar cheese may be used in this recipe. For more flavour, use sharp cheese.
- Half and Half cream - use any cream containing 10 to 18% milk fat.
- For a creamy (completely green) Broccoli Cheddar Soup, process in blender for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 helping
- Calories: 483
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 1169.6 mg
- Fat: 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 25.9 g
- Cholesterol: 91.4 mg
Keywords: Broccoli Cheddar Soup