You have to try this spicy vodka pasta! I've included directions for how to make Gigi Hadid Pasta with and without vodka, depending which version you prefer.
This easy, creamy spicy vodka pasta went viral on TikTok and it continues to receive a lot of attention for good reason! This is a staple in our home and I really should have posted this recipe sooner! It comes together quickly, completely on the stovetop and is an easy weeknight dinner recipe.
What is Gigi Hadid Pasta?
In 2020, supermodel Gigi Hadid, made this spicy vodka pasta sauce look so easy on an Instagram story and Tik Tok. She made it without vodka, amid news that she was pregnant circulating the tabloids.
The recipe went viral, and I mean VIRAL and soon, everyone was making this delicious pasta recipe with creamy sauce!
The original recipe from Instagram that Gigi Hadid posted, needed no changes. It is delicious!
We've made it with and without vodka and you can choose either!
It's virtually the same as penne alla vodka' a classic Italian pasta dish with spicy vodka sauce.
This is the perfect dinner recipe if you're not experienced in the kitchen. As you whip up some tomato pasta with vodka sauce into "Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe", your guests will be impressed and you will have a stress-free dinner to add to your repeat list!
If you love trying viral Tik Tok recipes, then you have to try the Boursin Cheese Tik Tok pasta recipe next!
Ingredients for Vodka Pasta Recipe
- Olive oil - the preferred olive oil is extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed for premium flavor, but you can use whichever olive oil you have on hand!
- Garlic - fresh garlic is best for this recipe.
- Shallots - in the original video, Gigi Hadid used red onion. We use both depending on what we have on hand. The day I made this recipe, I had shallots on hand and they turned out delicious.
- Tomato paste
- Vodka- use any brand. I used Dan Akroyd's Crystal Head vodka and I really enjoyed reading about its origin.
- Heavy cream- anything around 30% will do.
- Red pepper flakes - a little goes a long way when it comes to red pepper flakes.
- Butter - I used salted butter in this recipe. You can also use unsalted and taste for seasoning before serving.
- Parmesan Cheese - use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for delicious flavor.
- Pasta - the original recipe used shell pasta, but you can use any pasta that the tasty sauce will cling too. Substitute penne pasta and you've got yourself the classic Italian 'penne alla vodka'. Rotini, Cavatappi are also good choices. You can also use whole wheat pasta. I've used chickpea pasta too and it was delish! Any short pasta will do the trick.
- Fresh parsley or fresh basil for garnish and more Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Do I Have to Use Vodka in Gigi Hadid's pasta recipe?
No, you do not have to use Vodka. You can substitute an equal amount of pasta water for the vodka.
You can also use fresh water and a squeeze of lemon juice from half a lemon which will replace the acidity of the vodka.
Can you make this pasta recipe with milk?
I don't recommend making it with milk. The heavy cream really helps to thicken the sauce and give it the classic creaminess that pasta alla vodka is known for.
Step by Step Instructions
You're going to need a large saucepan for cooking the pasta and a heavy-bottomed skillet.
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a full rolling boil and cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
NOTE: YOU WILL BE RESERVING 1 cup of the pasta water once the pasta is done cooking.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add shallots (or red onions) and sauté for one minute.
Add in the minced garlic and sauté for one to two minutes. Depending on the type of frying pan that you use, you need to closely watch the heat and ensure that the onions and garlic do not burn!
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. It's going to look a little dark and caramelized at this point.
Turn the heat down a little and whisk in the two tablespoon of vodka. Allow the vodka cook down for two minutes.
By this time, you're kitchen is engulfed in the aroma of a fine Italian restaurant and you're ready to stir in the heavy cream. Give it a taste and add in salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. If it's bubbling too much, turn it down a little.
Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Gradually stir in the reserved pasta water.
Stir in the butter, followed by the cooked, drained pasta.
To serve, garnish with fresh parsley or chopped basil leaves and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store cooled leftovers in covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To reheat, add a splash of milk, heavy cream or simply water to the pasta and reheat in microwave for a few minutes until the right temperate.
You can also reheat it in a skillet over the stove on low-medium heat with the same method as I mentioned above.
Reduce the amount of red pepper flakes that you add to the recipe from two teaspoons to one teaspoon.
Yes, choose a pasta that will allow the delicious creamy vodka sauce to cling to the noodles such as small shells, rotini, rigatoni.
Yes! The original video did not have vodka. Simply add in an extra cup of pasta water.
Yes, it is very similar with the main difference being the type of pasta shells that are used for the recipe. Penne uses penne shaped pasta and Gigi Hadid used shells in her pasta which are perfect for the creamy sauce to cling to!
Absolutely! This is a delicious, quick and easy pasta dinner recipe that you can have ready in 30 minutes or less.
You can substitute the heavy cream for whole milk which will reduce the fat a little. You can also substitute whole wheat or chickpea pasta for the traditional white pasta.
My Top Tips for Success with this Recipe
- Pre-measure all of your ingredients and have them ready to stir into the sauce as soon as you need them. The sauce comes together quickly and you won't have time to be looking for measuring spoons in the drawer.
- Adding the pasta water from the cooked pasta helps to thicken the sauce with the starchy pasta water. Set aside a spoon and container where you're going to quickly scoop in the pasta water BEFORE YOU DRAIN THE PASTA.
- Stir, stir, stir constantly when making the sauce. Okay, you might have time for one sip of wine but stay focused on the stirring!
- If you are using Vodka in this recipe, turn down the heat a little right before you add it in because it's going to create a mess if the heat is too high. Once you've whisked it in, turn the heat back up to medium.
I would love it if you followed me on Pinterest. Save this to your dinner recipes board!
If you make this recipe, please take a moment to comment below and let me know what you thought of this recipe!
Is this your new favorite pasta dish? Please let us know in the comments below!