Looking for an easy casserole recipe that can please the whole family and become a regular rotation in your meal planning? This is the BEST Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef and it’s the perfect one-dish wonder for busy weeknights!!
It’s the best comfort food that you can enjoy without worrying about heavy cream in the creamy sauce. If you’re cooking a weeknight dinner this simple tater tot casserole recipe will satisfy your cravings.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Our two teenage boys love this delicious casserole recipe. If you’re making one, definitely think about making a second to freeze. Any leftovers will disappear. Tater tot casserole reheats well in the oven or microwave, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights.
If you love easy casserole recipes, I have a few suggestions for your next dinner!
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole – a creamy sauce, with the help of cream soups and frozen veggies make this easy casserole a breeze to make. The kids will love it!
John Wayne Casserole Recipe – A weeknight favorite, that’s bursting with flavor, John Wayne Casserole is made with layers of seasoned ground beef, green peppers, onions and a sour-cream based cheesy sauce that sits on a delectable biscuit crust.
Taco Pasta Recipe – Elevate your Taco Tuesday game with the Creamy Taco Pasta Bake, a delicious and easy weeknight dinner that’s sure to please the whole family.
Creamy Dorito Chicken Casserole – This dish is a delicious combination of creamy chicken, layers of crunchy Doritos, and cheddar cheese, making it a fun and satisfying meal that everyone will enjoy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy tater tot casserole recipe is made with pantry staples, making it a convenient and stress-free recipe to make. It comes together so quickly!
- It’s a great freezer meal, which means you can prepare it ahead of time and have it ready for a busy weeknight dinner.
- It’s one of the best tater tot casserole recipes out there, with a delicious and hearty meal that everyone will love.
- It’s the perfect recipe for a night of the week where everyone is coming and going, as it reheats well and can be enjoyed by anyone who walks through the door.
- You can easily double or triple the batch if you have a lot of people to feed, making it a versatile recipe that’s perfect for any occasion.
Even if it’s your first time making it, you’ll love the delicious taste that makes it a must-try dish. So, let’s dive into the recipe and start cooking this amazing main dish.
Ingredients & substitutions
You’re going to love these simple ingredients! This recipe uses pantry staples that you can always find in the grocery store.
- Ground beef – use the most lean ground beef that you can find and be sure to drain off any fat once you’ve cooked it in the skillet.
- Onion – I like to use yellow cooking onions. You could also use green onions in a pinch.
- Salt – season to taste.
- Black pepper – season to taste.
- Garlic powder – you can also substitute fresh garlic. Simply add fresh minced garlic to the beef and onion mixture. (about 2 cloves)
- Worcestershire sauce – adds delicious flavor to the ground beef.
- Cream of mushroom soup – you can also substitute cream of chicken soup in a pinch. It will change the flavor a little but still be delicious! I used to make a sauce with sour cream in this recipe. I was making it once and didn’t have any sour cream, omitted it from the recipe and we all preferred it without the sour cream! The cream soups adds delicious flavor in this easy casserole recipe and stands on its own.
- Can of green beans – you can also substitute, fresh cooked green beans. For a change you can add any variation of frozen or canned vegetables. Corn, carrots and peas all work well in this recipe.
- Cheddar cheese – lots of cheddar cheese in the layers of this delicious casserole! You can use mild, medium or sharp… or any american cheese that melts well.
- Frozen tater tots – no substitutes here! It’s a tater tot casserole! Well, maybe in a pinch, french fries!
Can you make tater tot casserole with cream of chicken?
Yes, you can easily substitute the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken soup.
For a tex mex tater tot casserole, add in one package of taco seasoning to the ground beef and a can of green chiles. You can also substitute ground chicken or ground turkey and use cream of chicken soup for a chicken tater tot casserole.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole – step by step instructions
You can find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. I’ve included some visuals below with directions to help you along with this recipe as you make this mouth-watering cheesy tater tot casserole.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef, along with the onion and garlic powder. Drain off any excess fat, then stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Stir the mixture as it cooks. You do not want it to stick to the bottom of the skillet. Reduce temperature to medium if necessary.
Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the meat mixture.
Sprinkle the drained green beans on top of the soup mixture and season with a little salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the green beans.
Finally top with the frozen tater tots in a single layer.
Bake in 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes. Tater tots should be golden brown.
Serve immediately and enjoy! Bake time may vary. This casserole is ready when the tater tots are nicely browned and the cheese is melted.
For an extra-cheesy casserole sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated cheddar on top of the tater tot layer during the last 10 minutes of baking. Who doesn’t love a cheesy tater tot casserole!!?
If you make this tater tot hotdish with ground beef, please drop a comment below with your feedback – I would really appreciate it!
Storage, Reheating and Freezing Instructions for Beefy Tater Tot Casserole
How to store tater tot casserole
Storage: Cool casserole completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through.
How to freeze tater tot casserole
Freeze before baking
Follow directions as direct, except use a freezer safe aluminum pan. Tightly wrap the pan with a layer or plastic wrap, followed by a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To cook : Thaw the tater tot casserole in the fridge overnight and cook as directed.
Freeze cooked tater tot casserole:
Place cooled leftover casserole in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How long does tater tot hotdish with ground beef last?
Baked casserole leftovers will keep well for up to 3 days. Let it cool completely before transferring to a container with a lid, and keep stored in the fridge. Reheat briefly in the oven (best) or microwave.
My top tips for making this casserole
If you have extra time, make a second casserole and freeze it. A tater tot freezer meal makes dinner-time fun and easy on busy nights.
Drain any fat from the ground beef after you brown the hamburger.
Sides to serve with tater tot casserole
If you need to stretch this meal a little further to feed more people, I suggest serving it with green bean casserole and throw a package of frozen tater tots in the air fryer. A few extra crispy tater tots on the side always disappear.Print