This best Easy Pea Salad with Bacon is so good with the natural sweetness of the tender peas combined with the delicious creamy dressing, and the perfect salty crunch from the bacon!! Making this simple old fashioned pea salad recipe is a breeze using frozen peas and pre-cooked bacon that is ready in less than 15 minutes!!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Simple Pea Salad Recipe
This simple pea salad recipe is such a family classic salad that much like my pasta e piselli is well loved for the comforting qualities the peas provide. With our busy lives we all need recipes that are simple and come together quickly while not sacrificing any taste.
This green pea salad delivers on all fronts and it is the perfect anytime salad that will disappear in a hurry at family potlucks, easter dinner, thanksgiving dinner, barbecues and to be enjoyed throughout the year.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy delicious green pea salad
- Ready in under 15 minutes!!
- Classic recipe for pea salad loved by many
- Versatile salad for potlucks, holiday dinners and barbecues
- Frozen Peas – frozen petite peas work well in this salad, they do not need to be cooked but thawed. You can run the peas under cold water to help them start to thaw out. The smaller petite or baby frozen peas are more sweet and are great for this salad with the other savory ingredients
- Bacon – 6 to 8 strips of pre-cooked bacon works well in this salad, we choose it for its ease of use
- Sour Cream – whole fat sour cream
- Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- Red Onion – finely chopped the red onion adds color and flavor, you could use green onions and green peppers as well
- Granulated Sugar
- White Wine Vinegar
- Salt – kosher salt
- Black Pepper
You can use fresh peas and cook them after shelling the peas for 5 to 7 minutes until tender. Drain and let them cool before using in the salad.
If you prefer to lighten up the dressing you can use greek yogurt instead of the sour cream.
Use the cheddar cheese of your preference we prefer an older sharp or even a medium cheddar over a mild cheddar in this salad.
You can also use real bacon bits or cook up your own bacon to use in place of the pre-cooked bacon.
Step by step instructions for how to make pea salad
- Place the pre-cooked bacon in the air fryer. Cook at 350° F. for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crumbly. Remove from the air fryer and place on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Cut or pull apart to make the crumbles. Set aside. Reserve a tablespoon to top the salad.
- In a large bowl add the sour cream, mayonnaise, white granulated sugar, white wine vinegar, coarse kosher salt, and black pepper. Mix until combined.
- Add the crumbled bacon (reserve 1 tablespoon for the top), cheddar cheese, and red onion. Mix until combined.
- Add the peas and gently mix with a spatula or spoon until all the ingredients are combined.
- Top with the remainder of the bacon crumbles.
You can make different recipes for pea salad by using cubes or chunks of ham instead of the bacon in pea salad.
Use your favorite ranch dressing to make a pea salad with creamy ranch dressing and bacon instead of our dressing.
Sandra’s top tips for making the best pea salad recipe
- Canned peas are too soft for this dish, frozen peas are the best to use
- You do not need to cook the frozen peas they need to be thawed, you can place them in the fridge the night before
- You can also add in cubed ham or 3 or 5 chopped hard boiled eggs and 8 ounces of elbow macaroni if you wish
- If you add the macaroni you will need to double the dressing
- Make the dressing the night before and put it together before serving to help save time the day of your dinner
Storage and freezing instructions
You can store any leftovers by covering your dish with plastic wrap or using an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
We do not recommend freezing this salad.