The sweetness from the apples give this Creamy Coleslaw a burst of flavour in every bite. This is a quick and easy recipe to make and will be ready in 15 minutes!
Baked Beans, Creamy Potato Salad and this Creamy Coleslaw always make an appearance at our family gatherings.
It's a great side dish to go along with ham, or any main dish and tastes amazing on a burger or hot dog. It's so versatile!
There is NO SUGAR added. The sweetness of the apple is all that you need to liven up this coleslaw. If you really feel that it needs sweetening up - it really depends what type of mayonnaise you use - add 1 tsp. of granulated sugar to the recipe.
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- ready in 15 minutes! the beauty of this recipe is that there are few ingredients and once you make it a few times, you will have it memorized!
- made from fresh ingredients that are readily available in the grocery store.
- can be chopped by hand or for convenience made using a food chopper
- stays nice and crunchy for a few days in the refrigerator.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Cabbage - green cabbage is the main ingredient in this recipe. Want to change it up? Try using a mixture of red and green cabbage.
- Carrot - adds flavour and colour to this dish. You can chop it finely or grate it with a cheese grater.
- Sweet onion - you may substitute cooking onions or red onions as well.
- Celery - adds flavour and crunch.
- Apples - apples are a natural sweetener and depending on the variety can also add tartness. Our favourite apples are Honey Crisp. Chop them into ¼-inch diced pieces or grate them with the cheese grater. Chunkier apples are highly recommended!
- Fresh parsley - for flavour and colour! If you don't have any, don't sweat it.
- Mayonnaise - we often use Miracle Whip brand, which is actually 'salad dressing'. You can use any type of mayonnaise, although you might need to sweeten the coleslaw a bit depending on the type. 1 tsp. of honey or granulated sugar would do the trick.
- Dijon mustard - for the dressing. You can also substitute honey mustard.
- White Balsamic Vinegar - or substitute with plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Celery seed (or 1 tsp. celery salt)
With the exception of the dressing and the apples, everything goes into this little chopper, one ingredient at a time. If you prefer to grate it by hand, then go for it and watch those knuckles!
Chop the veggies, then the apple
- Cut cabbage in half. Remove core from the bottom.
- Using the food chopper (on chop setting), chop ingredients one at a time. For half a cabbage, I had 4 batches in the chopper.
- Chop cabbage, set aside in large mixing bowl. ½ cabbage yielded about 5 cups.
- Chop onions and add to bowl.
- Chop celery and add to bowl.
- Chop carrot and add to bowl. (not more than two tbsp. If there's too much carrot, then the coleslaw will be too orange).
- Peel and chop the apple in ¼ inch pieces. If you prefer finer pieces, you can grate the apple as well.
- Chopped fresh parsley - 1 tbsp. (optional but good!)
Next, make the dressing
In a small mixing bowl, stir together
-white balsamic vinegar (can substitute basic white vinegar)
-salt & pepper
-celery seed (or substitue 1 tsp. celery salt)
Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture
Pour creamy dressing over the celery mixture and stir to mix.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Will keep for 2 days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container. A tip for having it the next day, stir in another tablespoon of mayonnaise to give it the 'just-made' taste.
How to serve creamy coleslaw
This creamy coleslaw is so versatile and can be used with so many different meals. The perfect topping for a burger or hot-dog, on a sandwich or a side salad for a meal.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES!
I would love it if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups
The sweetness from the apples give this creamy coleslaw a burst of flavour in every bite. Cabbage, onions, celery, carrots blend together in a creamy sauce of deliciousness.
½ green Cabbage chopped or grated (approx 6 cups)
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 tbsp. finely chopped sweet onion
3 tbsp. finely chopped celery
1 apple (chopped or grated)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 and ⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar (or use plain white vinegar)
2 tsp. celery seed (or 1 tsp. celery salt)
1. Cut cabbage in half. Remove core from the bottom. Discard any rough leaves on the outside.
2. Using the food chopper (on chop setting), chop ingredients one at a time. For half a cabbage, I had 4 batches in the chopper. Alternatively, chop by hand.
3. Chop cabbage, set aside in large mixing bowl. ½ cabbage yielded about 5 cups.
4. Chop onions and add to bowl.
5. Chop celery and add to bowl.
6. Chop carrot and add to bowl. (approx 2 tbsp. Too much and your coleslaw will be too orange).
7. Peel and chop apple in ¼ inch pieces. If you prefer finer pieces, you can grate the apple as well.
8. Chopped fresh parsley - 1 tbsp. (optional but good!)
9. In a mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, vinegar and celery seed.
10. Using a spatula, pour dressing over chopped vegetables and stir well to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 211.7 mg
- Fat: 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 11.6 mg
Keywords: Creamy coleslaw
The apples give this amazing delicious Cole Slaw over the top flavour!! Thank you its a big hit at Easter and for summer BBQ's.