Soft and chewy with a thick centre, these classic, old-fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies bear the hallmark criss-cross pattern. Using basic pantry ingredients, these Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies are quick and easy to make.
Do Peanut Butter Cookies bring you right back to your childhood? They sure do for me. I was always fascinated watching my mom make them and thought those hash marks were so cool. 🙂
With some minor tweaks to my mom's recipe, today, I am sharing with you this recipe for the best peanut butter cookies!
Why you will love this recipe
- This is a vintage family recipe that has been tested over and over again.
- One of the quickest cookie recipes that you will ever make. Using basic pantry ingredients, you will be munching on your first cookie in less than 20 minutes!
- You will have old-fashioned, chewy - possibly the best Peanut Butter Cookies you've ever tasted. (I may be a bit biased) 🙂
Butter - using butter softened at room temperature is important for this recipe. If the butter is too soft, the cookies will spread. Take the butter out of your fridge about an hour before you start to make the cookies.
Salt - you will notice that there is no added salt in this recipe. Using salted butter means there is no need to add additional salt.
Egg - should be at room temperature. Remove from refrigerator an hour before starting your recipe.
Peanut Butter - Smooth peanut butter is best for this recipe.
How to make this recipe
Full recipe in card at the bottom of this page
- Start by preheating your oven to 350F, then line two baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mat. (Cookies will NOT stick if you don't have those supplies)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Cream together butter and both sugars.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla and egg.
- Gradually add in flour mixture.
- Roll into 1 and ½-inch balls, then dip them into granulated sugar.
- Place balls onto cookie sheet, then press a lightly floured fork into the ball, creating a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake 10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for two minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
I do not recommend using natural peanut butter as it will give the cookies a completely different texture and flavour
The secret to soft Peanut Butter Cookies is to under bake them and take them out of the oven just when they're set up. Then, let them cool on the cookie sheet only for two minutes. Storing them in a zippered plastic bag or sealed plastic container will also help to keep them soft.
Yes. That is why they have the classic criss-cross marks when pressed with a fork. The cookie dough is heavier than other cookie dough and does not spread as much when baked.
Yes. Baked cookies may be frozen for up to three months. Simply place in a freezer container in rows, between sheets of parchment or waxed paper. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
You can add 1cup of chocolate chips for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.