These Funfetti Sugar Cookies are chewy, filled with holiday sprinkles and they're delicious with a mug of hot cocoa! These are a quick and easy no-chilling, no-rolling the dough sugar cookie that is perfect for last-minute holiday baking.
This is the perfect recipe for a busy working moms. For those days, right before Christmas, where you want a delicious fresh batch of cookies, but don't want the mess of rollout out flours, cleaning cookie cutters and icing cookies. This is the recipe for you!
The hint of lemon zest in the cookie is absolutely delightful. They stay nice and chewy for days and do not harden like some cookie have a tendency to do.
You could add a thin vanilla glaze on top, but honestly you don't need it! This recipe can easily be doubled to make 5 dozen cookies. Perfect for cookie exchanges and gifting.
- Butter - use butter, softened at room temperature. Take the butter out of the fridge 30 to 60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar - I use light brown sugar in this recipe. You could substitute dark brown sugar if that is what you have on hand. It will have a deeper flavor than light brown sugar.
- Lemon zest - Please, do not skip this ingredient!! It adds such a lovely flavor. Trust me, you will love it.
- Eggs - large egg, at room temperature. Take the egg out of the fridge 30 to 60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Sprinkles - I used holiday sprinkles, but you can change them up to your favorite season!
- Turbinado sugar - you can find it in the grocery store baking section. Turbinado sugar has larger crystals than granulated sugar and looks pretty for decorating tops of cookies.
Step by Step Instructions
You can find the full recipe card with a detailed ingredients list and instructions at the bottom of this page. Below, I've added a few visual photos to help you with the recipe as you follow through each step. If you have any questions about this recipe, please email me or add your question in the comments.
I like to use my stand mixer for this recipe. You can also use an electric hand mixer.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In bowl from stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, granulated sugar.brown sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
Add in egg and vanilla extract and stir just until combined.
In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beating at low speed on mixer.
Stir in the sprinkles. I like to reserve a few and press a few into the tops of some of the cookies.
Use a cookie scoop to measure and shape cookie dough into 1 and ½-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.With clean hand, lightly press down cookie dough balls until they are flattened to ½-inch thick.
Sprinkle top of each cookie with turbinado sugar.
Bake in 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Cookies will still be a little soft in the centre and edges should be set and lightly browned. Transfer to wire cooling racks.
Storage & Freezing Instructions
Store cooled cookies in airtight container for five to seven days at room temperature.
These cookies freeze well. Place cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to two months. Thaw at room temperature, then enoy!Print
Recipe adapted from WE Energies Cookie Book.