Bursting with blueberries, combined with the sweet, mellow flavour of bananas, these Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins have a crunchy, sweet streusel topping that will have you coming back for more!
I started out with this idea that I wanted to make Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins. I had a recipe on hand already for Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping and knew that I had to combine all of these flavours, plus add in the oats and blueberries to the mix.
The result is one of my best muffin recipes that I've ever made!
Delicious warm and straight from the oven, the streusel topping is crunchy.
Once you store them in a covered plastic container, the streusel topping will soften up which is equally tasty!
My Lemon Blueberry Muffins are delicious too, but this muffin has really stolen my heart 🙂
Why you will love this recipe
- this recipe uses basic ingredients
- no mixer required and can be made by hand
- the muffins are moist, soft and cakey and stay moist for days
Ingredients & Notes
- Bananas - the more ripe the bananas are, the sweeter your muffins will taste. Grocery stores often have carts of fruit on sale and you can sometimes find overripe bananas there! Mash banana in a small bowl with a fork.
- Egg - Bring egg to room temperature by taking it out of the refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before baking these muffins.
- Melted butter - Melt the butter for the muffin batter, then let it cool for a few minutes before adding it to the eggs for that step in the recipe.
- Blueberries - you can use fresh of frozen blueberries. Sometimes frozen blueberries can have a tendency to 'bleed' all over the batter, even when they are added straight from the freezer. To avoid this, toss the blueberries in 1 tbsp. of flour to coat them before adding to the batter.
How to make this recipe
No fancy equipment needed for this recipe! A few mixing bowls and a spoon and muffin tin and you're set to go.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix together banana, sugar, egg and malted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter into 12 regular-sized muffin tin.
- Combine all streusel ingredients together and mix until crumbly
How to freeze Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Muffins can be frozen for up to three months. Cool completely, then place in zippered bag or freezer storage container. Thaw at room temperature or in refrigerator before eating.
Depending on your microwave, you can warm them up by heating them for 10-20 seconds.
Looking for other great muffin recipes? I think you will love these!
Thanks for following along and if you have a moment, I would love it if you could comment and give this recipe a star rating below 🙂Print