You will want to add this one-dish breakfast to your meal-prep plan. Perfect for getting the kids off to school in the morning as it can be made ahead and refrigerated for 3 to 5 days. Try baked oatmeal for an easy and healthy breakfast.
We returned home last night from a fantastic weekend visiting family in Hamilton, ON. Other than a two-hour crawl on Hwy 401 due to an accident it was the perfect weekend.
It was great to swim and watch the boys enjoy playing and being, well boys. For a few hours, I forgot all about Covid-19 and it felt like a normal summer day. If this is the new normal, then we are doing okay.
Definitely a lot more people out shopping than in our small community. It felt good to get back to our old stomping grounds.
On the drive home, my thoughts drifted to Troy and Austin starting high school and getting into routines with breakfast, lunches and dinner.
I'm planning some freezer meals to make life quick and easy, particularly in the morning where I know they likely won't want to eat unless something is placed in front of them 🙂
Breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches and this baked oatmeal are a few items I have on the list to start preparing in advance.
Do you meal prep? I've never been a meal prep person but I am starting to like the idea more and more. 🙂
How to make Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Start by preheating the oven to 375F.
- Toast pecans for 3 to 5 minutes. Once you notice that nutty aroma, it's time to pull them out and let them cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine nutmeg, oats, nuts, cinnamon baking powder and salt.
4. In a small glass bowl (I love to use my glass measuring cup for this step), whisk together milk, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla and 2 tbsp. of the melted butter. (the other 2 tbsp. will be brushed on top once it's done cooking).
5. Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and arrange ½ of the berries in the bottom of the dish.
6. Cover blueberries in baking dish with the oat mixture.
7. Pour wet ingredients evenly over top of oatmeal mixture.
8. Scatter remaining berries over top of oat mixture.
9. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. maple sugar or brown sugar (optional but tasty).
10. Bake in 375F oven for 45 minutes.
11. Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp. of butter over top. Another sprinkle of maple sugar on the warm baked oatmeal gives it a bit more sweetness.
12. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
13. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Warm up in the microwave for 60 seconds.
What to serve with Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
A dollop of yogurt, a little maple syrup or additional fresh fruit on the side is the perfect way to enjoy this baked oatmeal.