Bursting with blueberries, combined with the sweet, mellow flavour of bananas, these Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins have a crunchy, sweet streusel topping that will have you coming back for more!
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large ripe bananas, mashed (this will give you one cup to one and a half cups)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled for a few minutes before mixing with other ingredients
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. butter, softened at room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together bananas, granulated sugar, beaten egg and melted butter (allow it to cool slightly before adding).
- Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- For streusel topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on top of muffins.
- Bake in 375 oven for 17-20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Move to wire baking rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Freezing Instructions:Muffins can be frozen for up to three months. Cool completely, then place in zippered bag or freezer storage container. Thaw at room temperature or in refrigerator before eating.
- Storage Instructions: These muffins will stay fresh in a covered container at room temperature for a few days, or in the refrigerator for one week.
- If using frozen blueberries, do now thaw. Add them to the batter directly from the freezer.
- You can also use a mini muffins tin for this recipe. Simply reduce the baking time to 12 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 23.6 g
- Sodium: 216.1 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.8 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 31.7 mg
Keywords: Muffins, Bananas, Blueberries, Breakfast