Ths Cheese Stuffed Garlic Bread is really quick and easy to make and delicious as a side with your favorite pasta dinner, pizza or a stand-alone appetizer for game day. A thick layer of Mozzarella cheese between slices of Italian bread, spread with homemade garlic herb butter turns inta a cheesy masterpiece that is always a crowd-pleaser.
The best stuffed garlic bread!
Have you ever been to a restaurant and marvelled at the cheese stuffed garlic bread? This recipe will show you step by step how to make it in the comfort of your kitchen and win rave reviews.
We enjoyed this garlicky bread the other night when we made our Taco Pasta for dinner. The kids love any type of cheesy bread, but this stuffed cheesy garlic bread recipe is their favorite. It's equally delicious with Gigi Hadid's pasta recipe!
Why you'll love this garlic bread recipe
- feeding a hungry crowd? This cheese-stuffed garlic bread is super quick and easy to make and it's satisfying.
- garlic bread is a side that goes well with so many meals such as baked ziti, Dorito chicken casserole and four cheese pasta bake. Melty cheese and herb butter in every bite. It's heavenly!
- this recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find in the grocery store and you can easily change up some of the ingredients such as different types of cheeses.
It's the perfect side for pasta, or as an appetizer dipped in marinara sauce. Is the really anything better than melty cheese?
- Italian or French loaf of bread
- Butter - should be at room temperature but not too soft. If it's a hot day, set it in a cooler spot as it comes to room temperature.
- Olive oil - good quality extra virgin olive oil is best for flavor.
- Fresh garlic - Although I'ved used garlic and onion powder combinations in the past for garlic bread, after making garlic bread dozens of times, I highly recommend fresh garlic!
- Italian Seasoning - for a change you can also use everything bagel seasoning in the place of the Italian seasoning.
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced - buy the fresh mozzarella that is in the shape of a ball and either packed in liquid or vacuum packed, not the pre-sliced cheese.
- Fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
What Are the Best Cheeses to Use in Your Cheese-Stuffed Garlic Bread Recipe?
Our favorite is mozzarella, but in a pinch, on many occasions I have used different cheeses. Mild, medium or sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack cheese are all suitable substitutes.
How to make stuffed garlic bread - step by step instructions
You can find a recipe card with full ingredients, amounts required and step by step instructions at the bottom of this page.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
In a small bowl, combine butter, olive oil, Italian seasoning, minced garlic and ¼ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until it is well mixed. I like to mix it by hand with a fork, but you could certainly use a stand mixer.
Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut 1 and ½-inch thick slices of the bread loaf, not cutting all of the way through to the bottom of the loaf. Place loaf on foil-lined baking sheet.
Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the prepared butter mixture, and spread the remaining garlic butter on each side of the bread with a butter knife. Buttering each side of the bread ensures a garlicky bread flavor on each side.
Place one to two slices of sliced mozzarella cheese between each slice of bread.
Use a pastry brush to brush the remaining garlic butter all over the bread and top with remaining shredded Parmesan cheese.
Cook in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cheese should be melted and bread will be crusty and a nice golden brown color.
This garlic bread is delicious served as a side dish for a meal, dipped in Marinara sauce or dunked into your favorite soups.
Storage and freezing instructions for cheesy bread
Cover cooled bread with foil or plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for up to two days.
Once the garlic bread has cooled completely, you can store the pieces in an airtight container or large freezer bag for up to six months.
Reheat them in a 425°F oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
How to reheat cheesy garlic bread
Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven to 10 to 15 minutes.
Can I reheat garlic bread in an air fryer?
Yes! An air fryer is one of my favorite ways now for reheating garlic bread. You can get that same great result with the melty cheese - even better than the oven in my opinion.
Separate the garlic bread slices and lay them flat in the basket of your air fryer. Air fry at 350°F in two minute intervals until heated through and the cheese is melty.
The main ingredients needed to make cheese stuffed garlic bread are Italian bread, butter, olive oil, fresh garlic, Italian seasoning, mozzarella cheese and Parmesn cheese. Other cheese may also be substituted.
Yes! You can also use French bread or any other thick crusty bread.