Making these easy Football Cupcakes from scratch is such a fun snack to serve for game day parties and for sharing at tailgate events. These homemade peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting will be a hit at your football themed party. Or just to bring a smile to any football fans win or lose!!
These delicious vanilla cupcakes are also great to share anytime!!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Easy Football Cupcakes Recipe
Many show up at game day events just for the food and this football cupcakes recipe will not disappoint!! Football and non football fans alike will love these delicious moist vanilla peanut butter cupcakes!!
Gridiron cupcakes are easy to make and you can change them up with your own football cupcake toppers and liners or just use our quick simple football lace icing theme.
Customize the color of the icing or laces to cheer on your favorite football team with their jersey colors!!
We love football season in our house and it is great to make game day snacks and appetizers to celebrate the big game making it more fun.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy football theme cupcakes
- Delicious vanilla cupcake base with peanut butter
- Customize with your teams colors
- Perfect for game days snack, tailgating and birthday parties
Football Cupcake Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour –
- Butter – unsalted butter at room temperature
- Eggs – 2 eggs
- Baking Powder –
- Baking Soda –
- Brown Sugar – light brown sugar
- Peanut Butter – use your favorite creamy peanut butter
- Sour Cream – full fat sour cream
- Vanilla Extract – pure vanilla extract is best but you can use imitation vanilla extract as well
Football Cupcake Icing Ingredients
- Powdered Sugar –
- Chocolate Chips – semi sweet chocolate chips roughly chopped
- Cocoa Powder –
- Vanilla Extract – pure vanilla extract is the best for flavor
- Milk – as needed to to moisten the frosting
- Butter – unsalted butter at room temperature
Step by step instructions for how to make football cupcakes
STEP 1 – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to a 12 serving cupcake pan, and set aside.
STEP 2 – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
STEP 3 – Combine vanilla extract with milk. Set aside.
STEP 4 – Add butter to a large mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
STEP 5 – Add brown sugar and eggs to butter and mix until well combined.
STEP 6 – Scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula and mix again to ensure all ingredients are well combined.
STEP 7 – Add sour cream and peanut butter to the bowl. Beat until smooth.
STEP 8 – With the mixer set on low speed, gradually pour in milk and dry ingredients and mixuntil well combined.
STEP 9 – Increase mixer speed and beat until batter becomes smooth and fluffy.
STEP 10 – Using a large spoon, divide batter evenly into prepared cupcake pan, filling about 3⁄4 full.
STEP 11 – Bake on 350 F. for 17-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes outclean.Place each cupcake on a wire cooling rack to cool.
STEP 12 – Make the frosting: Add butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for about 1 minute, or until very creamy.
STEP 13 – Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
STEP 14 – Slowly add in a small amount of milk until desired consistency is reached.
STEP 15 – Reserve approximately 1⁄4 cup of frosting in a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. This will be used for football stitches.
STEP 16- Add cocoa powder and chocolate pieces to remaining frosting and beat until smooth.
STEP 17 – Add chocolate frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip, and pipe a swirl onto each cupcake
STEP 18 – Use white frosting to pipe on a simple football stitch pattern.
Top tips for making the best football cupcakes recipe
- Using the best quality, freshest ingredients will make a difference in the flavor of these cupcakes
- Try to fill the cupcake liners with the same amount of batter so you get the same size cupcakes for uniform baking and serving
- Do not add the icing until the cupcakes have cooled
- You can practice with a few cupcakes putting on your laces we went for a more easy casual look that only takes a few minutes to do
- Change up the cupcake liners with football themed liners or green ones to represent the football field
- You can make a fun football cupcakes cake by lining up the cupcakes together on a platter in a football shape or your favorite football teams logo
Storage and freezing instructions
Store football cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Freeze in a single layer in a freezer-safe dish for 3 months.
Thaw at room temperature before serving.Print