1. Peel and chop butternut squash into 1-2" cubes. Set aside.
2. Peel and thinly slice carrots and set in bowl with butternut squash.
3. Peel and chop onions and place in bowl with squash and carrots.
4. In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan (I like to use a Dutch oven), melt butter.
5. Add in chopped vegetables, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
6. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring occasionally.
7. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25-30 minutes until squash is very tender.
8. Using a blender, carefully pour in the mixture and process/blend for 1-2 minutes until soup is creamy. (you can also use an immersion blender)
9. Return soup to cooking pot and heat to almost boiling. Add additional chicken stock if a runnier soup is desired. (Start with 1/2 cup when adding stock into the soup)