You're going to love this easy Tortellini Alfredo! A creamy, homemade Alfredo sauce, lightened up with milk, with fresh steamed broccoli and delicious cheddar sprinkled on top. Ready in 45 minutes, this is the perfect weeknight dinner!
This recipe is on repeat in our house. It's so quick and easy! The teens love it and I managed to sneak in a veggie for the non-veggie lover in the house.
You could really add any of your favourite veggies in this recipe. Spinach, cauliflower or zucchini or a mix!
This tortellini casserole is a lightened-up version of my Baked Ravioli Alfredo. Milk instead of cream is used in the sauce. Still super tasty and some veggies added to the mix. You're also going to want to try the Gigi Hadid spicy vodka pasta! It is Tik Tok famous and for good reason!
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- you will save time by not having to pre-cook the tortellini. The only heat will be from your oven and you will need it for 20 minutes.
- it's super tasty!! the broccoli goes beautifully with the Alfredo sauce.
- a great recipe if you're meal planning. You could have it all prepped with the shredded cheese on top, then bake it right before you're ready to have dinner.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
For full list of ingredients, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page. I have a few notes for some ingredients.
- Tortellini- use your favourite brand of refrigerator cheese tortellini or substitute for another type of tortellini or ravioli.
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated is the best for this recipe as compared to the packaged variety.
- Broccoli - fresh broccoli is the main vegetable in this dish or you could also substitute cauliflower.
- Milk - I used milk for this dish although you can also use a combination of half and half or whipping cream with the milk. If you choose to do that, use 1 and ½ cups of milk and ½ cup of the heavier cream.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut 1 head of broccoli into florets. Steam until crisp-tender then set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook garlic and onions until softened.
In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and milk, then add to onion mixture in skillet.
Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. This will take about five minutes.
Stir in grated Parmesan cheese and stir for three minutes over low-medium heat. Using fresh Parmesan cheese really adds some great flavour to this dish.
Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in juice from half of a lemon.
At this point, the sauce should be thickened. If not, give it another minute or two over medium heat.
Add in the tortellini. There is no need to boil the tortellini ahead of time! That is the beauty of this recipe! It will cook in the sauce in the oven.
Gently stir in the steamed broccoli and make sure that both the broccoli and tortellini are coated with sauce.
Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
Bake in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Store cooled Tortellini Alfredo, covered in refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat in microwave or in oven at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes, covered in foil.