This shortcut recipe for Strawberry Cupcakes with Cake Mix starts with a boxed white cake mix. They’re fluffy and tender and topped with a luscious strawberry cream cheese frosting. A fresh strawberry garnish tops them off, making them an irrestible treat to enjoy any time!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
We love the simplicity of these cupcakes made with a boxed cake mix, strawberry jello and just a few other ingredients. The secret ingredient that gives them their pretty color is strawberry jello! So easy right?!
These strawberry cupcakes are perfect for snacking, potlucks and family gatherings, baby showers or bridal showers. They’ll be the first to disappear!
Why you’ll love these strawberry cupcakes
- They’re so easy to make!
- Simple ingredients, starting with a boxed white cake mix
- Soft, tender and moist with a delicious frosting that will have you coming back for seconds.
You can find a full, printable recipe card at the bottom of this page with step by step instructions.
- boxed white cake mix – any type of your favorite brand will work
- strawberry instant gelatin (Jello)
- frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed – you can find these in the freezer section of the grocery store
- eggs – use large eggs at room temperature
- vegetable oil – I recommend sticking to vegetable oil for this recipe. Other types can change the flavors and textures of the cupcakes.
- butter – I like to use salted butter or you can substitute unsalted
- cream cheese – I use full fat cream cheese for this recipe
- powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries, optional for garnish
How to Make Strawberry Cupcake with Cake Mix
MAKE THE CUPCAKES
STEP ONE – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to two 12 serving cupcake pans and set aside.
STEP TWO – Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree the frozen, thawed strawberries. Set aside.
STEP THREE – In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix and strawberry gelatin.
STEP FOUR – Add pureed strawberries (minus ¼ cup set aside), eggs, oil, and water to the dry ingredients. Mix on low until moistened, then at medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
STEP FIVE – Scoop the batter into the liners of the prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
STEP SIX – Remove cupcakes from the oven. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
MAKE THE FROSTING
STEP SEVEN – In a large bowl, beat softened butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
STEP EIGHT – Add ¼ cup of reserved pureed strawberries and mix until combined.
STEP NINE – Slowly add powdered sugar, beat on medium speed till light and fluffy.
STEP TEN – When cupcakes are completely cool, frost and decorate with sliced strawberries, or as desired. Enjoy!
Place cupcakes in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Allow cupcakes to come to room temperature for about 20 to 30 minutes before serving.