Get ready to dive into a Mexican fiesta on your plate! This easy Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe is all about easy-breezy family meals that satisfy your cravings.
Picture juicy shredded chicken, flavorful black beans, corn and tomatoes all cozied up under a gooey cheese blanket. It’s a total crowd-pleaser, and we’re about to spill the beans on how to whip it up!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
This Mexican chicken casserole brings together the best of Mexican flavors and the ease of casserole cooking, making it a winning recipe for anyone looking for a tasty, convenient, and versatile meal option.
Why you’ll love this Casserole Recipe
Delicious Flavors: This casserole is a fiesta of flavors, combining tender chicken, zesty spices, creamy cheese, and vibrant vegetables to create a mouthwatering taste sensation that will make your taste buds dance. Surprise the family on Taco Tuesdays with this easy meal!
Easy to prepare: Say goodbye to complicated cooking techniques. This recipe is a breeze to make, making it perfect for busy weeknights or when you want a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Customizable: You can easily customize this recipe with your favorite toppings like salsa, guacamole or sour cream to suit your taste.
Comfort Food with a Twist: All the comfort of a classic casserole with a Mexican twist. This comforting, hearty meal is also delicious leftover the next day.
Ingredients for Mexican Chicken Bake
- Rice – you can use instant white rice or your favorite type of rice such as white or brown. This makes up the base of the casserole.
- Vegetable oil – or you can use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Onion – you can use yellow or sweet white onions.
- Corn – use frozen, or canned corn. You can also use fresh corn in season, cooked and removed from the cob.
- Chicken – Cooked and chopped chicken brings a protein-rich component to the dish. This easy chicken casserole recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Chili powder – This spice gives a warm and slightly smoky flavor with a mild level of heat. The chili powder enhances the overall taste of the casserole.
- Ground cumin – adds an earthy and slightly nutty flavors that are characteristic of many Mexican dishes.
- Garlic salt – combines the flavors of garlic and salt together.
- Black pepper
- Tomatoes – diced tomatoes add moisture and acidity. Be sure to drain them before using.
- Black beans – black beans add a creamy texture and earthy flavor to the casserole.
- Sour cream – lends creaminess and tanginess to the dish, balancing the flavors and adding richness.
- Colby Jack cheese & Mozzarella cheese – taste delicious in this casserole. You can substitute them with any of the best cheese for melting.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Rice Casserole
You can find a full, printable recipe card if you scroll down to the bottom of this page. Below, I’ve added instructions with easy-to-follow images to ensure that this recipe is a winner!
STEP ONE – Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
STEP TWO – In a large skillet, heat oil, then add in the onion and corn. Sauté until they begin to soften – a few minutes.
STEP THREE – Add in the cooked chopped chicken and stir to combine.
STEP FOUR – Sprinkle the spices on top of the chicken mixture and stir to coat evenly.
STEP FIVE – Add the drained tomatoes and black beans, then stir to combine.
STEP SIX – In a small bowl, combine the cheese.
STEP SEVEN – In a separate large bowl, mix together the fully cooked rice, sour cream, half of the cheese mixture.
STEP EIGHT – Add the cheese mixture to the chicken mixture in the skillet and stir to combine.
STEP NINE – Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
Sprinkle the remaining Colby Jack & morrzarella cheese on top.
STEP TEN – Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
How should I store my Mexican Rice Casserole?
Mexican Rice Casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in single servings in the microwave for 30 second intervals on a miscrowave-safe plate or container.