Spice up your Taco Tuesday with this Creamy Taco Pasta Bake. A simple sauce made with ground beef, taco seasoning and a few simple add-ins is combined with your favorite small pasta shape with cheddar and Montery Jack cheese for an easy weeknight dinner.
Like my Baked Ravioli Alfredo recipe, this is another easy family-friendly dinner that is a tried and true recipe, budget friendly and so quick and easy to make and the ultimate comfort food.
This easy dinner recipe is satisfying, with delicious Mexican flavors similar to our family favorite walking taco casserole recipe. The kids love both of these recipes and they're so easy to reheat the next day.
If you're craving more easy pasta recipes, Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe is a must-try and you can easily make it with or without vodka! This viral recipe is a family fave!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and Easy: This recipe comes together quickly, making it perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time to cook.
- Tasty Taco Tuesday: If you love tacos, you'll love this cheesy taco pasta. It has all the flavors of a taco in pasta form, making it a fun and delicious twist on a classic.
- Family-Friendly: Kids and adults alike will love this cheesy taco pasta. It's a crowd-pleaser that's sure to become a new family favorite.
- red or yellow onion
- lean ground beef
- minced garlic
- chunky salsa
- taco seasoning
- tomato sauce
- canned green chiles
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- sour cream
- Cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- green onions
- pasta - use your favorite pasta shape. You can use shells, rotini, penne.
- Salt & pepper to taste
Step by Step Instructions
This is an easy dinner recipe and is a great recipe if you're in a hurry.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Cook pasta until al dente, following package directions, then drain.
In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onions and garlic. Drain off any fat.
Stir in taco seasoning, tomato sauce, salsa, green chilies.
Simmer over medium heat for five minutes, stirring often.
Stir in cooked pasta and 1 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese and ½ cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to 9x13-inch casserole dish and top with remaining sharp cheddar and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with chopped green onions, cilantro or parsley and serve with sour cream.
Other Toppings for Taco Pasta Bake
- sliced or chopped avocado
- pico de Gallo sauce
- crushed tortilla chips or Fritos
- enchilada sauce
- add in any of the following, fresh corn, black beans.
- spice up your cheesy taco pasta with ½ to 1 cup of sliced jalapeno peppers.
- substitute ground turkey or ground pork for the ground beef.
Tips & Tricks
- freshly grated cheese will work best in this recipe vs. what you can buy pre-shredded in the grocery store.
- drain off any fat from the ground beef
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Store leftover pasta in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can either reheat the leftover pasta in the microwave or in the oven. For microwave, place one serving on plate and microwave for one minute. Stir and continue to microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.
To reheat in oven, preheat oven to 350°F, cover leftovers with foil in baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can add toppings such as chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, diced avocado, or sour cream to the cheesy taco pasta bake. You can also serve it with tortilla chips on the side.
You can add more chili powder, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce to make this recipe spicier.
Yes, you can freeze the pasta in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw completely, then reheat in 350°F oven to 20 to 25 minutes.
Yes, you can use any small pasta shape, such as rotini, penne, or farfalle.