This easy Banana Bread Recipe Without Baking Soda is quick to make and requires no fancy equipment. A moist, delicious loaf, perfect for a breakfast snack!
I adapted my original recipe for banana bread to exclude baking soda. This new, easy banana bread recipe is one of the best I've ever had. Every family member said it was their new favorite banana bread recipe. (they say that about all of my new recipes and they never turn down free banana bread).
Cranberry Banana Bread is a great way to use both ripe banana and fresh or frozen cranberries. If you have real maple syrup, you'll want to also try my Maple Glazed Banana Bread. It's a popular banana bread recipe that is made by poking holes on top of the bread, then drizzling maple syrup over top.
supplies you will need to make simple banana bread
This recipe can be made completely by hand, without having to use a mixer.
measuring cups and measuring spoons
parchment paper (optional to line loaf pan)
Wooden spoon for mixing
ingredients & substitutions
This recipe uses simple ingredients that can be found in the grocery store or most kitchen pantries and refrigerators.
The recipe card at the bottom of this post includes the full list of ingredients and amounts that you will require. Below are a few notes about the ingredients:
- overripe bananas (mashed bananas) Look for dark, spotty bananas with brown spots. Sometimes the grocery stores will have a section, or cart with produce that is reduced in price. This is the best spot to find ripe bananas on sale. I used three large bananas in this recipe, measuring 1 cup. The most that you can use in this recipe is 1 and ½ cups.
- vegetable oil - I do not recommend substitutes such as olive oil or coconut oil in this recipe.
- sour cream - I used full fat sour cream in this recipe. You can also use light sour cream.
- eggs - use large eggs at room temperature. Take them out of the refrigerator about an hour before you start the recipe.
- white sugar - if you would like to use less than 1 cup of sugar, you can reduce the amount of sugar by half. You can also substitute half of the white sugar for brown sugar.
- baking powder - is the only leavening agent that you will use in this recipe.
- all purpose flour - scoop and level flour. See the notes in the next paragraph below. Otherwise, you might end up with too much flour and that will change the texture of the loaf.
how to measure flour using measuring cup
- Use a spoon to fluff up the flour in the storage container or bag.
- Spoon the fluffed up flour into the measuring cup until it is overfilled.
- Next, scrape the knife across the top of the measuring cup to remove excess flour.
how to make banana bread without baking soda
Grease a 9 inch loaf pan. Alternatively, you can use a cooking spray or line the loaf pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325°F.
Peel and mash bananas with a fork. The best way to do this is to place them on a flat dinner plate. This is much easier than trying to mash them in a bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and bananas.
In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Stir well to combine.
Next, add the banana mixture to the flour mixture.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. If you're adding nuts, you can sprinkle a few on top of the bread before baking.
Bake banana bread in 325 degrees f oven for 50 to 60 minutes
Bake time may vary depending on the type of loaf pan that you use and the accuracy of your oven temperature.
Use a cake tester to check for doneness by inserting it into the middle and ensuring that no batter is on the tester.
Is there anything better than the aroma of homemade banana bread filling the kitchen?
Cool on wire cooling rack. If you do not have a wire cooling rack, you can turn a baking sheet upside down and set the loaf pan on it. Cool for at least 10 minutes, then carefully remove from pan.
Invert to remove from the loaf pan. Slice and serve.
Banana Nut Bread - sprinkle chopped pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds on top of the loaf before baking.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread - stir one cup of chocolate chips into the batter before turning it into the loaf ban.
how to store banana bread
This is the best banana bread and it might not last more than one day because it's so tasty!
You can wrap the whole loaf or slice and wrap pieces individually.
Wrap in plastic wrap or store in airtight container for four to five days at room temperature.
how to freeze banana bread
Wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil for added protection in the freezer. You can also use a freezer- safe ziplock bag or airtight container.
Yes. You can make banana bread by using baking powder as the leavening agent. Follow the step-by-step instructions from the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Yes, you can use frozen bananas. Thaw the banana completely, peel and strain the liquid. Proceed with mashing the bananas and add to batter.
Yes, a banana bread recipe may be used for muffins. Divide batter evenly in 12 greased or paper-lined muffins tins and baking in 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Substitute baking soda for baking powder by using 3 teaspoons of baking powder, to substitute 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
If you substitute baking powder for baking soda with a 3:1 ratio, the banana bread will rise beautifully.