The sweetness from the apples give this creamy coleslaw a burst of flavour in every bite. Cabbage, onions, celery, carrots blend together in a creamy sauce of deliciousness.
1/2 green Cabbage chopped or grated (approx 6 cups)
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 tbsp. finely chopped sweet onion
3 tbsp. finely chopped celery
1 apple (chopped or grated)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 and 1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar (or use plain white vinegar)
2 tsp. celery seed (or 1 tsp. celery salt)
1. Cut cabbage in half. Remove core from the bottom. Discard any rough leaves on the outside.
2. Using the food chopper (on chop setting), chop ingredients one at a time. For half a cabbage, I had 4 batches in the chopper. Alternatively, chop by hand.
3. Chop cabbage, set aside in large mixing bowl. 1/2 cabbage yielded about 5 cups.
4. Chop onions and add to bowl.
5. Chop celery and add to bowl.
6. Chop carrot and add to bowl. (approx 2 tbsp. Too much and your coleslaw will be too orange).
7. Peel and chop apple in 1/4 inch pieces. If you prefer finer pieces, you can grate the apple as well.
8. Chopped fresh parsley - 1 tbsp. (optional but good!)
9. In a mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise, dijon mustard, vinegar and celery seed.
10. Using a spatula, pour dressing over chopped vegetables and stir well to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 211.7 mg
- Fat: 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 11.6 mg
Keywords: Creamy coleslaw