These old-fashioned Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing are cake-like cookies with a soft and chewy texture. The orange icing on the top is a delicious compliment to the cookie. I enjoyed them growing up and I hope you will too!
My mom used to to make these little cookies when I was growing up. Mom purchased a monthly recipe card mail-order subscription and I always looked forward to opening the package every month with her to see what recipes were inside.
I had forgotten about these cookies until I found it in my pile of recipes; hand-written on a 4x6 index card.
They would be a nice mix on a holiday cookie tray and a nice contrast to the other sweet treats. Very quick and easy to make, I will definitely be making another batch of these soon!
Our latest Covid 19 update indicates that we will be having smaller gatherings for Christmas - while that is definitely a disappointment to us all, I am going to try and start new traditions and still find joy throughout the season. I will soon be sharing some lifestyle blog posts with you as I start putting together some holiday gifts suitable for porch drop off 🙂
If you're making carrots for dinner one night, cook an extra cup, mash them and keep them in the refrigerator to make these lovely cookies the next day. 🙂
How to make Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from stand mixer, combine shortening, sugar, eggs and carrots. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, then gradually add to shortening mixture.
4. Add coconut and stir just until combined.
5. Drop by heaping teaspoonful, 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
6. Bake in 400F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
7. Immediately move baked cookies from cookie sheet to wire cooling rack and cool for at least 10 minutes.
Orange Butter Icing
8. In a small mixing bowl, blend butter and icing sugar.
9. Stir in 1 tbsp. of orange juice and orange peel.
10 Beat until icing is a smooth consistency, adding more orange juice if necessary to reach a spreadable consistency. Mixture should be smooth enough to spread, but not too runny.
11. Spread tops of cookies with icing and enjoy!