1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from stand mixer, combine shortening, sugar, eggs and carrots. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, then gradually add to shortening mixture.
4. Add coconut and stir just until combined.
5. Drop by heaping teaspoonful, 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
6. Bake in 400F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
7. Immediately move baked cookies from cookie sheet to wire cooling rack and cool for at least 10 minutes.
Orange Butter Icing
8. In a small mixing bowl, blend butter and icing sugar.
9. Stir in 1 tbsp. of orange juice and orange peel.
10 Beat until icing is a smooth consistency, adding more orange juice if necessary to reach a spreadable consistency. Mixture should be smooth enough to spread, but not too runny.
11. Spread tops of cookies with icing and enjoy!