This authentic savory Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe is a fusion of flavors created by combining fresh tomatoes, onions, spicy jalapeños and tangy lime juice. A little salt and fresh cilantro finish off the fusion of flavors that will have you coming back for seconds.
This delicious Mexican salsa is best served with chips, tacos, nachos, chimichangas, burritos, fajitas and the list goes on!
If you love summer salsas, try my Peach Mango Salsa next!
We love fresh summer salsas and this Pico de Gallo is super easy to make and is so versatile.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico De Gallo is a classic Mexican salsa that is served with nachos, chips and all types of Mexican foods.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Effortless, taking only 10 minutes to make
- The pico de gallo goes great with chips or your favorite Mexican dish.
- Perfect for potlucks, bbq's and family gatherings, this easy appetizer travels well. Bring a copy of the recipe - everyone will want it!
- Low calorie, healthy and guilt-free but big on flavor.
- tomatoes - meaty, red tomatoes are best in the recipe. If you have an excess of cherry tomatoes in your garden, they can also be used in this recipe.
- white onion - subsitute red onion for a change as well!
- jalapeno peppers
- fresh cilantro - want to make pico de gallo without cilantro? Go for it!
- lime juice - fresh lime juice is a must in this recipe!
- coarse salt
How to make Pico De Gallo
You can find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page. I've included some step by step images below to help you along the way.
STEP 1 - Chop tomatoes and onions so that they are close to uniform in size and place in a large bowl.
STEP 2 - Finely chop the jalapeno peppers and cilantro and place in bowl with the tomatoes and onions.
TIP - Wear gloves when working with jalapeños and removing the seeds.
STEP 3 - In a medium-sized bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Mix until fully combined.
Sample to taste and see if you want to add more lime juice and salt.
You can serve the pico de gallo immediately, or for best results, allow flavors to come together by placing in the fridge for at least 2 hours and overnight is best!
What else can I add to pico de gallo?
If you want to go beyond the classic Pico de Gallo, you can add black beans, corn, avocado, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and red onion for a cowboy caviar.
What is the secret to the best pico de gallo?
Give the salsa time in the refrigerator to chill. The flavors will combine beautifully.
Although you can eat it as soon as it's ready, trust me that if you give it time you will be so happy that you did.
What to serve with Pico de Gallo
Kick up the heat!
If jalapenos are too milk for your taste, try adding serrano peppers.
How do I store leftovers?
You will need to store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This salsa cruda is best served within 24 hours. Any longer than that and you will want to add a bit more salt and lime juice. The liquid will release as it sits in the fridge and a little can be drained, if desired.