One pan, simple ingredients and packed with flavour, this Cilantro Lime Chicken is a family favourite!
This is one of those recipes that ends up tasting like something you would get in a great restaurant and then long for it again the next day....and sadly not have the recipe. But, this time, you have the recipe! The flavours of chicken, cilantro and lime get together and have a party in your mouth and then they invite their friend mango salsa. And then, things just get carried away.
Seriously, please if you try no other new recipes this week try this one. It's so versatile. You can have it with jasmine rice on the side or a green salad. Throw it in a pita or fajita or whatever your heart desires.
We have just fallen in love with our panini maker all over again. Next time I make this Cilantro Lime Chicken I'm going to put it in a panini - yum.
Tips for making Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Use fresh limes. You can play around with some of the ingredients however I strongly suggest picking up fresh limes. The smell when you cut into them is worth their price at this time of the year.
- If you're using frozen chicken breasts be sure to thaw them completely and pat them dry. Thawed chicken releases a lot of moisture in the frying pan (or bbq) and you will not get that same flavour sticking to the chicken.
- If you're not in the mood to chop by hand, then toss in the garlic and cilantro together in a food chopper.
- Cilantro - if you're not a fan of cilantro, try Italian parsley. The last time I made this dish, the Italian parsley was stocked under the cilantro tag at the grocery store and I didn't notice. Bummer. Still tasted delicious!
- You can substitute brown sugar for honey.
- If you get a lime that isn't juicy enough - throw it in the microwave for 15 seconds. This will help to release the juices.
- Serve with fresh Mango Salsa. Note that the nutritional information in the recipe card below if for the chicken portion of the recipe only. The Mango Salsa nutritional information is located on the recipe card for that recipe.
cilantro lime chicken with mango salsa
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
Bursting with flavours, this easy-to-make recipe will soon become one of your favourites.
1 and a half pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup orange juice
⅓ cup olive oil
⅓ cup lime juice
1-½ tsp. lime zest
1 tbsp. honey or brown sugar
1 and ½ tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
2 tsp. minced garlic
½ cup chopped cilantro
3 large peaches (or 6 small ones)
2 mangoes, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
¼ cup red onion, chopped
⅓ cup red bell pepper
1 lime, juiced (you should end up with about ¼ cup)
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
2 and ½ teaspoons olive oil
½ teaspoon cumin
3 teaspoons honey
- Finely chop cilantro and garlic by hand or in small food processor.
- In a glass bowl, mix chopped cilantro, garlic, olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, lime zest, honey, cumin, teriyaki sauce. Mix well.
- Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts to ¾" thickness.
- Place chicken breasts in glass container with marinade and turn over several times to coat the chicken.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and place in frying pan.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
While chicken is cooking, brush with reserved marinade throughout cooking time.
- Chop fruits and vegetables.
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
Chill for 30 minutes or overnight. The longer that you chill the salsa, the more that the flavors will combine for a delicious-tasting salsa.
Serve with chicken.
- use fresh limes
- if using frozen chicken breasts, be sure to pat dry before adding to marinade
- if you're not a fan of cilantro, you can easily substitute Italian parsley
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 helping
- Calories: 667
- Sugar: 35.2 g
- Sodium: 248.9 mg
- Fat: 36 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.6 g
- Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 42.9 g
- Cholesterol: 124.1 mg
Keywords: Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mango Salsa
We have never tried this before and we were blown away by the flavours of this chicken!! Enjoy it as a main dish or cut up into tacos. The peach mango salsa goes amazing with as does any salsa. So good thank you!!