An easy recipe for Cream Cheese Brownies have a chocolate layer, topped with a cream cheese layer. Both layers are then swirled together and sprinkled with chocolate chips to create an insanely tasty brownie.This recipe makes a nice big batch of 24 brownies!
YOU'LL LOVE THIS!
- this brownie recipe makes a nice big batch of twenty-four! It's a great recipe to take to a pot luck or large family gathering. Similar to Chocolate Chip Brownies, they're just such a great recipe that's a crowd-pleaser!
- they're moist and chewy and retain the moisture for days. No drying out for these brownies!
- no fancy equipment needed. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. You could even mix them by hand if needed!
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTION
(not all ingredients are listed below. Only the ones that I've added notes, tips or substitutions as necessary.). You can find the full list of ingredients and instructions on the recipe card below.
- butter - take out of refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before you begin making the brownies.
- unsweetened chocolate - can be found in the baking section of the grocery store. It comes pre-measured in squares so that you can easily measure the ounces.
- eggs - I always use large eggs for my recipes. Take them out of the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- all-purpose flour - I've only tested this recipe with all-purpose flour.
- sour cream - you can use light sour cream or regular in this recipe. You can also substitute full fat Greek yogurt.
- cream cheese - regular or light sour cream in this recipe can be used. I usually like to use the regular.
- chocolate chips - I prefer to use the dark chocolate chips or you can also use milk chocolate or even the white chocolate chips.
These brownies are baked in a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll plan which is a bit different than a traditional square 8x8-inch pan brownie.
These brownies feature a rich chocolaty brownie layer followed by a tangy cream cheese layer, then a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
This is an easy recipe and one that you will want to add to your regular rotation of sweet treats!
Grease and flour the jelly roll pan and preheat the oven to 375°F.
Bottom Brownie Layer
Begin by mixing the butter, water and chocolate in heavy-bottomed saucepan. I used my Dutch Oven and it worked perfectly. Melt over medium heat. Stirring constantly is a must as the chocolate melts.
The temperature is then raised once everything has melted. Continue to heat just until it reaches a boil. Immediately remove the pot from the heat and set it aside once it has reached a light boil.
In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients for the bottom brownie layer. Add this to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir well to combine.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream and eggs. Mix well and add to the chocolate mixture stirring just to combine.
Pour the mixture into the bottom of the prepared jelly roll pan. Try to pour it as evenly as possible in all areas of the pan. This will make it easier to spread out in the large pan. Use a spatula to carefully spread it to cover the entire area.
Cream Cheese Layer
You should take your cream cheese out of the refrigerator about an hour before baking. This will allow it to soften at room temperature. Removing it from the package and covering it lightly with plastic wrap will speed up the process as well.
Next, ombine the cream cheese and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed to dissolve the sugar. Add in the egg and blend it well to combine.
This batter will be very runny and will pour easily over the chocolate layer.
Take a knife and being careful not to scrape the bottom of your pan, gently swirl the chocolate and cream cheese layers together.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top and it's ready to go into the oven.
I have a gas oven and it baked perfectly in exactly 25 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before cutting them.
These brownies are best served after they have cooled for awhile.
They also taste delicious the next day. I will admit that I may have had one with a cup of coffee this morning as I was typing this blog post 🙂
STORAGE & FREEZING INSTRUCITONS
Store leftover brownies in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
This depends on the amount of cream cheese in the recipe, however I like to stay on the safe side and refrigerate all desserts with cream cheese. If you prefer not to have them cold, you can set them out at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
Use the highest quality ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. Do not over bake the brownies.