You're going to love these Cheesecake Marbled Brownies! The brownie batter is swirled with the cheesecake batter, then topped with chocolate chips.
Put cream cheese on your shopping list because you've gotta try these!
You'll Love This!
- this brownie recipe makes a nice big batch of twenty-four! It's a great recipe to take to a pot luck or large family gathering. Similar to Chocolate Chip Brownies, they're just such a great recipe that's a crowd-pleaser!
- they're moist and chewy and retain the moisture for days. No drying out for these brownies! This is honestly the best cheesecake brownies recipe!
- no fancy equipment needed. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. You could even mix them by hand if needed!
- no brownie mix today! We're making this recipe entirely from scratch.
Ingredients and Substitutions
(not all ingredients are listed below. Only the ones that I've added notes, tips or substitutions as necessary.). You can find the full list of ingredients and instructions on the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- butter - take out of refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before you begin making the brownies.
- unsweetened chocolate - can be found in the baking section of the grocery store. It comes pre-measured in squares so that you can easily measure the ounces. It gives a deeper chocolaty flavor than cocoa powder.
- eggs - I always use large eggs for my recipes. Take them out of the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- all-purpose flour - I've only tested this recipe with all-purpose flour.
- sour cream - you can use light sour cream or regular in this recipe. You can also substitute full fat Greek yogurt.
- cream cheese - regular or light sour cream in this recipe can be used. I usually like to use the regular Philadelphia cream cheese or use your favorite brand.
- chocolate chips - I prefer to use the dark chocolate chips or you can also use milk chocolate or even the white chocolate chips.
How to make Marble Brownies
These brownies are baked in a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll plan which is a bit different than a traditional square 8x8-inch baking pan.
These brownies feature a rich chocolaty brownie layer followed by a tangy cream cheese layer, then a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
Grease and flour the jelly roll pan and preheat the oven to 375°F.
Bottom Brownie Layer
Begin by mixing the butter, water and chocolate in heavy-bottomed saucepan. Melt over medium heat. Stirring constantly is a must as the chocolate melts.
The temperature is then raised once everything has melted. Continue to heat just until it reaches a boil. Immediately remove the pot from the heat and set it aside once it has reached a light boil.
In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients for the bottom brownie layer. Add this to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir well to combine.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream and eggs. Mix well and add to the chocolate mixture stirring just to combine.
Pour the mixture into the bottom of the prepared jelly roll pan. Try to pour it as evenly as possible in all areas of the pan. This will make it easier to spread out in the large pan. Use a spatula to carefully spread it to cover the entire area.
Cream Cheese Layer
You should take your cream cheese out of the refrigerator about an hour before baking. This will allow it to soften at room temperature. Removing it from the package and covering it lightly with plastic wrap will speed up the process as well.
Next, ombine the cream cheese and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed to dissolve the sugar. Add in the egg and blend it well to combine.
This batter will be very runny and will pour easily over the chocolate layer.
Use a knife, and being careful not to scrape the bottom of your pan, gently swirl the chocolate and cream cheese layers together.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top and it's ready to go into the oven.
I have a gas oven and it baked perfectly in exactly 25 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely on a rack for at least 20 minutes before cutting them.
These brownies are best served after they have cooled for awhile.
They also taste delicious the next day. I will admit that I may have had one with a cup of coffee this morning as I was typing this blog post!
STORAGE & FREEZING INSTRUCITONS
Store leftover brownies in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
This depends on the amount of cream cheese in the recipe, however I like to stay on the safe side and refrigerate all desserts with cream cheese. If you prefer not to have them cold, you can set them out at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
Use the highest quality ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. Do not over bake the brownies.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE BROWNIE RECIPES
Cream Cheese Brownies
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 24
Easy-to-make Cream Cheese Brownies have a chocolate layer that it topped with a cream cheese layer. Both layers are then swirled together, sprinkled with chocolate chips to create an insanely tasty favourite brownie.
Bottom Chocolate Brownie Layer
½ cup butter
¾ cup water
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 large eggs, beaten
½ cup sour cream
Cream Cheese Layer
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
⅓ cup sugar
1 large egg
¾ cup chocolate chips
Bottom Chocolate Brownie Layer
1. Grease and flour a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine butter, water and chocolate. Melt over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually allow the mixture to come to a boil by raising the temperature slightly. Remove from heat as soon as it comes to a boil.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
4. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture.
5. In a small bowl, combine eggs and sour cream and mix well, then add to chocolate mixture, stirring just to combine.
6. Spread into bottom of jelly roll pan.
Cream Cheese Layer
7. In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl from stand mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar. Mix on medium speed for one minute until sugar is dissolved.
8. Blend in egg and mix until well-blended.
9. Spoon cream cheese mixture over chocolate mixture.
10. Using a knife, cut through the batter and swirl to create a marbled effect.
11. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
12. Bake in 375F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
13. Cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
14. Store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 127.9 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 39.3 mg
Keywords: Cream Cheese Brownies, Dessert
Why when you 2X, you tell to use the same size pan. DAH!
Thank you for your feedback. That is auto-generated by the program that is used for the recipe card. I have removed that feature site wide. When a recipe is doubled, you would need two baking dishes.
I’ve been looking for this recipe, these brownies are my favorite, best cream cheese brownies! So good! Thank you for sharing!
Hi! That's terrific! Thanks for commenting and for stopping by! They're one of our favourites too! 🙂
Brownies are a big favourite in our house and these cream cheese version is a nice twist. They are delicious and look great as well. Thanks for the recipe!!