This easy Copycat Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe can be prepped in five minutes and takes less than an hour to cook.
This crowd-pleasing casserole is perfect for potlucks, family gatherings or lazy weekends. Serve it with breakfast or your favorite favory dish.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
If you love Cracker Barrel’s cheesy potatoes, then you’ll love this easy copycat recipe. You can make it in the comfort of your own home and once you make it, you will want to have it on repeat!
I love how quickly this comes together and with basic, affordable ingredients that I can always find in the store when I need them.
This hashbrown casserole is ideal for breakfast or brunch and is the pefect accompaniment to my Million Dollar Chicken Casserole. Yum-my!
If you love this recipe, try these recipes next:
Hashbrown Casserole with Cornflakes (aka Funeral Potatoes)
Why you’ll love this cheesy hashbrown casserole
- Minimal prep work – with five minutes or prep time, it’s a great recipe for busy families
- Great for a crowd – perfect for potlucks and family gatherings and making a nice-sized 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Tastes delicious leftover too! I’ve included instructions near the bottom of this page for how to reheat a casserole.
Ingredients & Substitutions
This recipe uses simple ingredients that are easily found in local grocery stores.
- Frozen hashbrowns – we used the shredded hashbrowns, or you can substitute the cubed hashbrowns (frozen/thawed).
- Cream of chicken soup – you can also substitute cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup or cream of cheddar soup.
- Butter – you can use either salted or unsalted butter.
- Onions – you can use yellow onions or sweet vidalia onions.
- Cheddar Cheese – we love to use sharp cheddar, or you can also use mild or medium cheddar.
- Sour cream – I use full fat sour cream, or light sour cream will work too.
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Optional – When I’m serving this with a savory dinner, I sometimes like to add up to 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Parsley (optional) sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley when serving.
Add protein- For a breakfast casserole you can add up to 2 cups of chopped cooked ham or bacon.
Add veggies – Add in broccoli or cauliflower. I like to pre-cook the veggies until they are crisp-tender, then add them to the casserole before cooking.
Toppings – sprinkle 3/4 cup of crispy fried onions on top of the cheese during the last ten minutes of cooking.
How to Make Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole – Step by Step Instructions
You can find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page. I like provide step-by-step photos and some tips to show you what to expect as you make the recipe.
You will need thawed hashbrowns for this recipe. You can either transfer them from the freezer to the fridge overnight, or thaw them in the morning at room temperature for 30 minutes. Spread them out on a baking sheet, giving them a stir every 10 minutes or so to help them thaw a bit quicker.
Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, or grease the casserole dish lightly with butter.
Step 1- In a large bowl, combine thawed hashbrowns, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, chopped onions, 2 cups of the shredded cheese, sour cream, salt & black pepper.
Tip – You can melt the butter on the stovetop in a small pan over low heat, or place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 10 second intervals until melted.
Step 2- Transfer the potato mixture to prepared baking dish and smooth out with a spoon or spatula.
Step 3 – Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top of the casserole.
Step 4 – Baked in preheat 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
Cool for five minutes, then enjoy!
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container, or cover casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two to three days.
How do you reheat hashbrown casserole?
To reheat leftover hashbrown casserole, bring the refrigerated dish to room temperature, then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 325° F oven.
Can I make this hashbrown casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this hash brown casserole the night before, and store it covered in the refrigerator. Allow the casserole to come to room temperature, then cook as directed.
Can I freeze hashbrown casserole unbaked and cook it later?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole unbaked. Cover it tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for up to two months.
To cook, thaw in the fridge overnight then bake as instructed in the recipe card below.
Can I freeze leftover hashbrown casserole?
Yes! You can freeze leftover hasshbrown casserole. Transfer to freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Thaw in the refrigerator (overnight) and bake in 350°F oven for 25 minutes, or in the microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through.