Apple Pie Bars have all of the deliciousness of apple pie with a layer of shortbread crust, thinly sliced apples and a soft streusel topping.
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- enjoy the flavours of apple pie without the extra work of making pie crust!
- this recipe makes a nice big batch of 32 squares.
- quick and easy recipe with basic ingredients and no fancy equipment needed.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- apples - use your favourite variety of apples
- rolled oats - I recommend using quick oats for this recipe, not the old-fashioned large flake oats.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or grease lightly.
Start by making the crust.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy. (you can do this using a mixer or by hand).
In a separate small mixing bowl combine all-purpose flour, cinnamon and salt.
Gradually stir into butter mixture.
Transfer to prepared baking dish. Spread out evenly, then press into place ensuring that the edges are pressed down as well.
Bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
While the crust is cooking, prepare the apple filling.
Stir together sliced apples, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and cinnamon. Set aside.
Next, prepare the streusel topping.
In a large mixing bowl, combine quick oats, brown sugar, all-purpose flour and cinnamon.
Cut in the butter using clean hands or using a pastry blender.
The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs as pictured above.
Spread apple mixture over slightly cooled crust.
Sprinkle streusel topping over apple mixture and press down lightly.
Bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- when storing the apple pie bars, cover loosely with wrap and do not seal completely. This will keep the topping more crispy.
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine 2014