These air fryer tater tots are seriously good!! They're perfectly crispy on the on the outside and deliciously soft on the inside. When we get a craving for french fries, our teen boys more often ask for tater tots for a quick snack. Cooking tater tots in an air fryer is the best way to cook them in less than 15 minutes! You get that delicious deep fried taste but much healthier. You won't want them any other way once you try them in the air fryer!
Today, I'm sharing my favorite cooking method for cooking air fryer tots and why you'll love them! The is such an easy recipe and great for anyone new to air frying.
We just love our air fryers so much that we have two the Ninja XL and the Ninja dual zone air fryer.
Our teen boys wanted to cook a side dish like this air fryer tater tots recipe and tater tot nachos in one air fryer, then, a main dish like air fryer hot dogs or air fryer brats in the other for teen-sized appetites.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- So Easy: One ingredient needed for a perfect mid week side dish or snack.
- So Fast: You can be enjoying tater tots in less than 15 minutes!!
- Best Method: No more heating up the kitchen with the oven and the last thing you want is soggy tater tots from the microwave! Even better than homemade tater tots!
- Healthier: You get the irresistible perfect crispy texture and deep fried taste every time without using oil or all of the added deep fried fat!
- One or a Crowd: Its so easy to cook just enough tater tots for one or two, or use batch cooking to serve for a crowd as a game day appetizer!
What are Tater Tots?
Tater Tots are made from grated potatoes that are shaped into a small shape like balls, then fried until they are crispy and golden brown.
Tater tots were first created in the United States in the 1950s by the Ore-Ida company. They are often served as a favorite snack, main course potato side dish or party appetizer and can be eaten on their own or dipped in sauces.
The most popular brands of frozen tater tots are of course Ore-Ida and Alexia organic tater tots.
Store bought Frozen Tater Tots!
Can you put tater tots in the air fryer?
Yes! you can and they're delicious!
Step By Step Instructions - How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Tater Tots?
You can find a full printable version of this recipe with a recipe card with ingredients and step by step instructions.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 3 to 5 minutes.
Place the the tater tots into the air fryer basket in a single layer for the best way for even cooking crispy tots.
Air fry the frozen tater tots at 400°F for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown. Shake the basket every 4 or 5 minutes to allow the hot air to circulate for even cooking.
If you filled you air fryer basket up more than a single layer you will need to give a good shake of the basket more often. If you like your tater tots extra crispy cook for 1-2 extra minutes.
How To Serve Air Fryer Tater Tots?
Since tater tots are so much fun and versatile they can be enjoyed as a main dish, favorite snack, at a party, for a crowd, or as a game day appetizer.
You can serve with your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, cheese sauce, sour cream, marinara sauce, ranch, barbecue sauce, salsa, guacamole and even try hot sauce such as sriracha sauce or franks red hot sauce.
To mix things up with extra flavour, top tater tots with your favorite seasonings.
You can use taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, paprika, garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning.
Add the seasonings in a small bowl with a couple of tater tots reaching your desired taste before adding it to the whole bag of tater tots.
What To Serve With Tater Tots?
We have these air fryer tater tots so often that we have enjoyed them with many different dishes, even our Dorito chicken casserole.
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Taquitos
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Pre-heat your air fryer (some have a preheat button) for the best results and crispy tater tots with that incredible crunch!
- You can use cooking spray oil like olive oil or avocado oil before cooking on the tater tots to give them an even more deep fried taste and appearance.
- Single layer in the air fryer basket is best to ensure crispy tater tots
- For extra crispy tater tots cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer check often for level of cooking and smaller air fryers may require two batches.
- Batch cooking tater tots in the air fryer is perfect for a game day party like the Super Bowl ,just check for the level of cooking, often in the second batch as the air fryer will be hot and may need less time.
Storage and Reheating instructions
Cooked leftover tater tots can be stored in airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
You can freeze cooked leftover tater tots in a resealable freezer bag for 2 to 3 months.
The best way to reheat tater tots is in the air fryer to get them crispy warm and delicious again.
Place them in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry at 375°F for 5 minutes shaking halfway through. For extra crispy or frozen tater tots air fry for 1 to 3 more minutes checking for level of cooking.