Unleash your creative spirit this Halloween season and get ready to delight your taste buds with a batch of these cute and spooky Halloween themed cupcakes.
Explore 37 Cute & Spooky Halloween Cupcake Ideas that are easy to make, with Halloween toppers and find the ones that rattle your halloween taste buds.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
As the spooky season approaches what better way to celebrate then by making up a batch of these easy Halloween cupcakes recipes.
Using your favorite cake boxed mix with basic ingredients and a cream cheese frosting you can follow these simple cupcake recipes to whip up tantalizing pumpkin cupcakes halloween treats.
My 18 Top tips for the best halloween cupcakes
- You can use your favorite cake mix like a pumpkin cake mix or chocolate cake mix as the base for your themed treats. (You can also use my easy moist vanilla cupcake recipe as a base)
- Cream cheese frosting, chocolate frosting, white frosting or buttercream frosting when piped onto the top of the cupcakes, adds an extra layer of sweetness so use cupcake toppers according to your tastes.
- Use fresh high quality ingredients like cocoa powder, flour, butter and vanilla extract for the best flavor and texture
- Bring ingredients to room temperature is a crucial step, 1 hour on the counter will work
- Measure ingredients accurately respect the mixing ratios using a scale if you can
- Follow the detailed instructions
- Do not overmix the cake batter
- Fill cupcake liners used in cupcake pans properly using a scoop filling to 2/3 to 3/4 level to allow for rising
- Preheat the oven to the correct temperature
- Bake cupcakes in the middle of the oven ensuring good airflow
- Do not open the oven door while baking
- Test for doneness with toothpick it should come out clean
- When done baking transfer to a wire rack as quickly as you can to help prevent them from drying out
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing
- Achieve the right consistency for your frosting, not too thick or thin which helps with smooth piping and a pleasing texture.
- Do not over frost your cupcakes
- Practice makes for perfect baking and frosting
- You can substitute in your favorite halloween candy or even halloween decorations for a cupcake topper on top of cupcakes.
How to make the best moist cupcakes?
- Follow my 18 top tips above is a good idea
- Try brown sugar instead of white sugar on a 1:1 ratio as brown sugar has molasses which will help to keep them moist. (Beware that the batter will be darker which may not be suitable for your recipe)
- Try using plain yogurt or sour cream, which would replace buttermilk, sour cream, or milk on a 1:1 ratio which can offer better moisture properties in cupcakes.
Why do my cupcakes pull away from the liners?
- If baked in a steamy setting, moisture can build up around the cupcake causing the liner to peel away.
- Cupcakes can also be become sweaty stored in plastic containers in hot areas.
How best to store my cupcakes?
- Frosted cupcakes can stay fresh stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- If your cupcakes have cream cheese frosting or are filled with cream you will need to store them in the fridge for 4-6 days.
Can I freeze frosted cupcakes?
- Yes you can freeze frosted cupcakes, while some frosting like vanilla buttercream freeze very well, and other more delicate or whipped frosting may change texture after thawing.
- Wrap cupcakes individually in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags.
- Thaw at room temperature while still wrapped.
- Consume thawed cupcakes within 1 or 2 days.
So grab your piping bag and elevate your halloween treats to the next level by involving the whole family in the baking and decorating process.
These easy Halloween cupcake ideas with gluten free and vegan options are great treats for the next Halloween party, captivating any party guests both kids or adults alike.
They will perfectly compliment any assortment of other party theme Halloween desserts or Halloween snacks and also great with ice cream.