These soft, cake-like Strawberry Frosted Donuts feature fresh strawberries and a delicious fresh real strawberry glaze frosting.
These pretty baked donuts recipe are great for company and the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth without the messy frying in oil.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Making these baked frosted strawberry cake donuts have been a labour of love and I’m really happy with the outcome.
They are the perfect summer donut to make with fresh strawberries from the farmers market or local strawberry farm, although you could really make them any time of year!
Every bite is filled with delicious strawberry flavor with a soft chewy donut texture. They taste as good as they look and do they look good or what!!
Are Strawberry frosted donuts as good as fried donuts?
Almost …. they really are a delicious donut, but no, they are not quite as good as fried donuts from, say Dunkin’ Donuts or a strawberry glazed donut from Krispy Kreme.
But, when you consider how easy they are to make and how much healthier, this is one of the best frosted doughnut recipes out there.
Not quite a breakfast donut, enjoy them later with a cup of coffee or tea.
If you love baked donuts for holiday breakfast, try my amazing cinnamon roll donuts and lemon blueberry baked donuts.
Why you’ll like these baked donuts
- Easy to make baked donuts without all the mess and fat with frying
- Beautiful looking doughnuts to impress any guests at a party or family gathering during the holidays
- Bursting with fresh strawberry flavor in every delicious bite
- An ideal holiday donut for Valentine’s Day, Christmas Day breakfast, baby showers and bridal shower brunches.
Strawberry frosted donut Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you should always be able to find in your local grocery store.
A full list of ingredients and amounts needed may be found at the bottom of this page. Below you will find a few notes about specific key ingredients.
- Large egg – at room temperature. Take egg out of refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before starting the recipe.
- Buttermilk – use fresh buttermilk or you can make a buttermilk substitutes. (see notes section on recipe card)
- Powdered sugar or confectioners sugar, icing sugar
- Vanilla extract – I highly recommend using pure vanilla extract for best flavour or you can use artificial vanilla extract.
- Fresh strawberries – I do not recommend using frozen strawberries in donuts. They tend to be a bit mushy.
Step by step instructions for making strawberry glazed donut
STEP ONE – Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease donut pan or spray with cooking spray.
STEP TWO – In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
STEP THREE – In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg then whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
STEP FOUR – Add dry ingredient to wet ingredients and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
STEP FIVE – Transfer batter in three separate batches to a decorating bag or ziplock bag. Once filled, cut a hole in the bottom of the bag that is just a bit smaller than the size of the donut shape.
You can also spoon in the batter by hand using a small spoon instead of using the bag. Do not overfill.
STEP SIX – Bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
STEP SEVEN – Cool for five minutes. Remove from pan and set on wire rack with a piece of parchment paper underneath it. (to catch the glaze when frosting)
Make the strawberry donut glaze, a homemade strawberry icing:
STEP EIGHT – In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, finely chopped strawberries, vanilla and two tablespoons of the milk. You may need to add another tablespoon to reach a consistency that is suitable for dipping the donuts in the donut icing.
STEP NINE – Turn the donuts upside down and dip into the donut frosting and allow to drip off. Place back on wire rack and allow to set for 15 minutes.
Variations for strawberry donut
You can make a strawberry frosted donut with sprinkles by adding your favorite sprinkles or sanding sugar to the top of the donuts right after glazing.
Stir strawberry jam into frosting instead of the diced strawberries. (2 to 3 tablespoons)
Sandra’s top tips for making the best baked strawberry donuts
- Use room temperature butter and eggs for better baking results
- Pure vanilla extract and using the best quality ingredients with make the donuts taste much better
- Scoop the flour with a spoon into the measuring cup and level off with a knife to measure the flour correctly
- Using fresh strawberries makes a big difference in the taste of these donuts
- I like to use a piping bag as it is easier than spooning the batter into the donut pan
What are the benefits of eating baked donuts over fried donuts?
Baked donuts will usually have fewer calories and fat because they have not been fried in oil like the fried donuts. However if you add a lot of icing and candy or chocolate to the top of baked donuts they could have more calories than the fried donuts.
Storage and freezing instructions for frosted donut
Store cooled donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or the fridge for 5 days. Separate any donut layers using parchment paper for easy serving.
Donuts can be placed without frosting in a freezer-safe container and frozen for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature, then prepare frosting and frost when ready to eat. I do not recommend freezing frosted donuts.