These easy slice-and-bake cookies are the BEST Cherry Shortbread Cookies and will bring joy to cookie lovers of all ages.
The cherry almond cookies are rolled in pecans, then dipped in chocolate for a finishing touch.
We are in love with slice-and-bake cookies, imperfections and all! Since these cookies are rolled and shaped into logs, they are not perfect circles, squares or whatever shape you roll the log into.
Their irregularity is part of their charm. Dipped in chocolate, then sprinkled with a few pecans, they are sure to delight the cookie-lovers grazing at the Christmas dessert table.
If you love cherry shortbread bars like we do then you will these cherry cookies.
Why you will love maraschino cherry cookies
- customizable by changing up the chocolate and nuts
- harmonious blend of maraschino cherries and the buttery richness of shortbread almond cookies
- perfect for cookie exchanges and gift giving because they not only look great but hold up well in a box
Ingredients for christmas maraschino cherry shortbread cookies
For a full almond cherry cookies ingredients list and quantities, scroll to the full recipe card with instructions at the bottom of the page.
- butter - use salted butter in this recipe, softened at room temperature.
- powdered sugar - the powdered sugar is not sifted when measured.
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla & almond extract
- semisweet chocolate
- glacé cherries
How to make cherry shortbread cookies
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. The oven temperature to bake these cookies is 300*F. You will not have to preheat the oven until you get to step 7 while the dough is chilling for the final chill.
Now lets make this maraschino cherry shortbread cookies recipe!
In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from a stand mixer, cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
I like to do the remaining steps by hand. Add in the all-purpose flour and stir just until combined. You may find it easier to mix with clean hands. Mix until a soft dough forms.
Gently fold in the glacé cherries just until combined.
Divide dough into three equal portions and roll each portion into a log. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Next, unwrap the logs and roll each of them into the coarsely chopped pecans. The pecans do not need to coat the entire surface. Roll them a few times, reserving some of the remaining pecans to sprinkle on top of the melted chocolate for garnish.
Wrap again in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes, until firm enough to slice.
Cut dough log into ¼" thick slices and place one inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
Bake the cherry and almond cookies at 300°F oven for 17 to 20 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
Once the cherry and almond shortbread cookies have cooled completely, melt chocolate in microwave for 30 seconds, being careful not to overheat it. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Working quickly, dip half of each cookie into chocolate and set on wire rack or parchment paper. Sprinkle some of the cookies with additional pecans.
Variations for cherry christmas cookies recipe
- we dipped them in chocolate with pecans to make them taste amazing but also make them look great on your holiday cookie platter
- you could also dip them white chocolate if you prefer white chocolate cherry shortbread cookies
- drizzle the chocolate on top instead of dipping the cookie in the chocolate
- change up the nuts using by using macadamia, walnuts or your favorite nut
Top Tips for Cherry Almond Cookies
- you can add ½ cup of chocolate chips to the dough instead of dipping them in chocolate
- use the chopped nuts of your choice or no nuts at all
- use butter at room temperature
- choose pure vanilla and almond extract for better flavor
- you can make ahead and freeze the plastic wrapped cherry logs
Storage for our cherry and almond biscuits.
Store cooled cookies in a airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Can you freeze Cherry Shortbread cookies
To make ahead: Yes you can freeze the plastic wrapped logs in a freezer-safe container for 2-3 months. You can unwrap and cut the frozen logs without thawing and bake right in the oven.
If you prefer you can also thaw for 30 minutes before baking and roll in chopped nuts of your preference as described above if you like.
Freeze cooled cherry chocolate dipped shortbread cookies in an airtight container, layered between parchment paper for 2 months.
So whether you're a cherry cookie connoisseur or simply someone who loves the spirit of Christmas, our Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies are a must-try.