A classic gingerbread squares recipe that is delicious when served warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream, sweetened whipped cream or Lemon Sauce.
2 and 1/2 cups Gingerbread Squares Mix (see recipe card above)
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. In a saucepan, over low heat, combine boiling water, molasses and butter; stir until butter has melted.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place 2 and 1/2 cups of Gingerbread Squares Mix, then add in the molasses mixture.
3. Blend in beaten egg just until combined.
4. Pour batter into greased and floured 8-inch square baking dish.
5. Bake in 350F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
7. Serve with sweetened whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or Lemon Sauce. (recipe follows)
The lemon sauce is optional, yet highly recommended!
In a small saucepan, mix together 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 2 tbsp. cornstarch, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tsp. grated lemon rind. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and clear. Blend in 2 tbsp. of butter.
Makes 1 and 1/2 cups.
Serve over Gingerbread Squares
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dessert, gingerbread, holiday baking