Today, I'm sharing the classic Chocolate Eclair Cake. It's a no-bake delight that's both timeless and incredibly scrumptious.
Think layers of creamy goodness, graham crackers, and velvety chocolate frosting coming together in perfect harmony.
This Chocolate Eclair Cake is a long-time family favorite. I can remember coming home from school and my Mom would have it made in the fridge, ready with a tall glass of milk. Pure comfort food.
This dessert is perfect for potlucks or parties and has the decadence of a classic French Éclair without all the fuss.
Why You'll Love This No Bake Eclair Cake
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is a breeze to make and requires no baking. You can have a delightful dessert ready with minimal effort.
- Classic Flavor: It captures the beloved flavors of a traditional eclair but in cake form, with layers of creamy pudding, graham crackers, and chocolate frosting.
- Make-Ahead Delight: It's a perfect make-ahead dessert for gatherings and special occasions. You can prepare it in advance and chill until it's time to serve. You can freeze it too!
- Family Favorite: This cake is a crowd-pleaser. Its familiar and comforting taste is loved by kids and adults alike.
What is Chocolate Eclair Cake Made Of?
This simple, no-bake Chocolate Eclair Cake is a timeless dessert favorite. Prepared with graham crackers, pudding, whipped topping, and luscious chocolate frosting, it comes together in just about 10 minutes, with some additional chilling time.
Can I Make this Cake in Advance for a special occasion?
You sure can! Chocolate Eclair Cake is the perfect make-ahead dessert because it is required to chill.
Prepare it a day in advane and it will be ready to impress your guests when you need it!
Ingredients for Chocolate Eclair Cake
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Milk - use whole in this recipe
- Cool Whip Topping
- Sour Cream - I recommend using full fat sour cream.
- Chocolate Frosting - this dessert is made with store-bought frosting. If you'd like to make your own homemade chocoalte frosting, that will work too!
How to Make This Easy Chocolate Eclair Cake
You can find a full printable recipe card by scrolling down to the bottom of the page. I've added some step-by-step images with instructions below to help you along with the recipe.
STEP ONE - In a large bowl add pudding mix, and milk, whisking thoroughly.
STEP TWO - Add the sour cream and Cool Whip to the pudding mixture.
STEP THREE - In the bottom of a 9x13 pan, place a single layer of graham crackers.
TIP: The crackers may not fit in perfectly and that is okay! Break the crackers but hand, or cut them with a serrated knife and fit them in as best as possible.
STEP FOUR - Scoop ⅓ of the pudding mixture onto cracker layer, about 2 cups, spreading into even layer with spoon or offset spatula.
STEP FIVE - Repeat layering twice, ending with a graham cracker layer.
STEP SIX - Stir tub frosting to loosen, alternately microwave frosting for 15-20 seconds to help make easier to spread. Top graham cracker layer with frosting, spread into an even layer, so no pudding or crackers show.
STEP SEVEN - Cover cake, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until crackers have softened and can be sliced. Enjoy!
My Top Tips for Making this Recipe
This recipe is very easy to make. The secret to a perfect no-bake eclair cake is to allow it to chill for the full time. The graham crackers will soft and combine perfectly with the pudding layers.
Storage & Freezing Instructions
Storage: Cover the dessert with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing: You can freeze this easy no-bake dessert by covering it with plastic wrap, then a layer of foil and freezing for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator to enjoy the following day.