This easy Walking Taco Casserole recipe is a family pleaser! If you need to get dinner on the table quickly, then you will want this recipe on repeat. Layers of seasoned beef with melted cheddar, followed by the signature Fritos of the walking taco. Fun and delicious!
1 cup onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 lbs. pounds lean ground beef
1 250ml can green chiles
2 pkgs. taco seasoning
black pepper to taste
3 cups sharp cheddar, shredded (two cups for baking in oven and one cup for topping)
3 cups Fritos corn chips
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sliced green onions (for topping)
2 jalapeno peppers (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1 tbsp. of olive oil for two minutes.
- Add in ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink inside.
- Stir in green chiles.
- Add in two packages of taco seasoning and water, following package directions.
- Taste and add black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Top with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with Fritos, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, sliced green onions and jalapeños (if using).
- Variation - add Colby, Monterey Jack or any type of cheddar (mild, medium or sharp).
- Variation - add in sliced black or green olives as a topping.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 helpful
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 724.8 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: Walking Taco Casserole