This Easy Cheesy Pizza Casserole Recipe is everything you want in a family dinner! Something that both adults and kids will love, it's easy and can be made-ahead, frozen, reheated - you name it!
16 ounces rigatoni, ziti or penne pasta, uncooked
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (24 ounce) jars marinara sauce (or favorite spaghetti sauce)
2 and 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 and 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 and 1/4 cups sliced pepperoni
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, or brush lightly with melted butter.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add ground beef, chopped onions and minced garlic, salt & pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Reduce heat to low and add the marinara sauce and 2 teaspoons Italian season to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cooked pasta, 1 and 1/4 cups of the shredded mozzarella cheese until combined.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish and spread out evenly in dish.
- Top with remaining 1 and 1/4 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- In a single layer, place the slices of pepperoni on top of the shredded cheese, then sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning.
- Bake, uncovered in 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the sauce should be heated through to the middle.
- Optional: sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley and enjoy!
Storage Instructions: Cool casserole, then store wrapped in plastic wrap or foil for up to five days in the refrigerator.
To reheat: Remove plastic wrap, then wrap in foil and reheat in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until heated through, or reheat in the microwave on a plate in 30 second intervals until heated through.
To prepare in advance to cook later, assemble the recipe (do not bake) and cover with aluminum foil. Store in the fridge and proceed with cooking when ready.
To freeze: Follow the recipe instructions and bake it. Let the baked casserole cool completely, then remove it from the casserole dish and transfer it to a freezer-safe container
To cook: Allow the casserole to thaw overnight in the refrigerator the night before.
Ready to bake it? Place it bake in an oven-safe casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake in 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through completely. Remove foil during last five minutes of reheating.
Some casserole dishes are rated freezer to oven, many are not. That is way we transfer it to a freezer-safe container. See my handy resource for how to reheat a casserole for any other questions.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven & Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 558
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 969.1 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.9 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 35.3 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
Keywords: pizza casserole recipe, pizza pasta bake