You will love this Peach Scones Recipe! Fresh peaches with lemon zest in a flaky scone drizzled with a peach orange glaze. A sprinkle of slivered almonds and you've got yourself a treat!
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter cubed
1 cup peaches, diced
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 tbsp. orange juice
3 tbsp. finely chopped peaches
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional to sprinkle on top)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- Using pastry blender (or by hand) cut in butter until mxture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and stir with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Lightly flour hands and press dough into a ball.
- On a floured surface, knead 10 times. If the mixture is too sticky, add a few tablespoons of flour at. time and knead into the dough.
- Gently fold in the peaches.
- Press dough until it is 1" thick. (don't worry about the shape here)
- Using a 2-½ inch cutter, cut out rounds. You can also use the top of a drinking glass.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps, press into shape again and cut out more circle. You should end up with 8 to 10 depending on the size of the cutter that you are using.
- Brush tops of scones with beaten egg mixture.
- Bake in 425°F oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden.
- Cool for five minutes on wire cooling rack.
- For glaze, mix powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons of finely chopped peaches. Add orange juice one tbsp. at a time until glaze is a consistency that can be drizzled on top of the scones.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze on top of scones and top with sliced almonds (if using).
- Buttermilk substitute - For 1 cup of buttermilk, put 1 tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar into measuring cup. Add enough liquid to fill to the 1 cup measuring line. Stir. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- I like to use a larger circle cutter sometimes and yield 9 scones.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled scones in a covered container at room temperature.
- Freezing instructions: Cooled scones can be frozen in freezer-safe container for up to two months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 22.2 g
- Sodium: 270.4 mg
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.7 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 57.1 mg
Keywords: Peach Scones