Step back in time with this old-fashioned Peach Cobbler. Made with fresh peaches and a sweet biscuit topping, it's an easy summer dessert recipe.
6 cups peaches
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp.baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp. butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. turbinado sugar (sprinkle on topping)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Peel peaches and slice. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peaches, lemon juice and sugar mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer peach mixture to greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- FOR COBBLER TOPPING: In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, or with clean hands, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine vanilla extract and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until combined.
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls on top of peaches. Don't worry about covering the entire area, the topping will spread out as it bakes.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. Filling will be bubbling at the edges when the cobbler is ready.
- Let cool 25 to 30 minutes. This step is important because the fruity sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Buttermilk substitute - For 1 cup of buttermilk, put 1 tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar into measuring cup. Add enough liquid to fill to the 1 cup measuring line. Stir. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Turbinado sugar may be substituted for any type of coarse sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 helpfing
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 64.6 g
- Sodium: 266.4 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 85.4 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 34.1 mg
Keywords: Peach Cobbler